December 4, 2012 (Carrie)

Dec 4, 2012 (Carrie)

We decided (well, I decided), it would be best to stay here in town for a few days to recuperate. Jordan just seemed to be going through the motions though, not caring. Eating when I reminded him, sleeping when I slept, not speaking unless spoken to. We found a nicer place to stay, had a little run in with a stinkbag and had a nice spat. Amazingly, it all seemed to do him some good.

We got up early this morning, thanks to the little battery operated alarm clock we found in our room. Yes, our shared room. Don't get any ideas though, we just figure safety in numbers counts even when we sleep.

Jordan wanted to go look more around the town, he's hoping we can just stay here but I'm not comfortable staying here too long when an enemy camp is so close. He wants to stay in case Bre comes back but even if she does escape, I think she'll keep heading up to Oregon, to the underground bunker she was raving about, thinking we'd already left for there ourselves.

"I'm going out." Jordan said as he headed for the door.

"Wait for me, I'm coming with." I grabbed my new favorite toy, the crowbar, and ran behind him out the door.

We walked slowly up the street, the winter cold setting in and freezing us to the bone.

"Jordan." I stuttered through my cold, chapped lips. "I think we need to find something a bit warmer than T-shirts and torn up jeans."

He sighed at this, not caring about the cold but agreed to go through some houses with me to look.

We went up the street, house to house, each of us grabbing a sweater and taking note of which houses had blankets, jeans and thermals that we could come back for, after we had our bags. Their owners wouldn't miss them I'm sure.

Coming up to the last house on the street sent my stomach into knots. I didn't have a good feeling about this house and I really didn't want to go in.

"Carrie," Jordan scolded, "just go in, we haven't seen anything here since we've come back."

"We also haven't gone through any of the houses on this particular street, so you can't just rush in thinking you won't find anything." I argued.

"You're such a wuss." Jordan pushed the front door open and stepped in. He slowly turned, looking around the entrance hall and stopped, facing me.

"See?" He smirked. "Nothing. Now come on. This place is huge, we should set up here, wait for Bre to come back."

"Jordan" I said softly, "she's not coming back. Even if she gets away she's going to keep heading to Oregon, you know that."

He turned his back to me, let out a sigh and argued, "She WILL get out and when she does, she's coming back here. She knows I'll wait for her."

I was sure that she knew that but I also knew she wouldn't come back for him, not when she's so close to her destination. I let Jordan keep his fantasies though, it wasn't the time for arguing or crushing him. I stepped past him and into the only door on the right.

It opened into a large, beautiful den. A plasma TV hung on one wall, across from a plush, maroon couch. A smaller loveseat of the same material sat beside that, forming an L shape. A mahogany and glass coffee table sat in front of the two, a half empty wine glass still sitting on top, surrounded by remotes. I wondered what happened to the previous residents.

Jordan followed me in and jumped onto the couch, running his hands over the soft material. Sighing he said, "Please Carrie, can we stay here? I call this room."

"I don't think that would be the best idea." I pointed to the floor to ceiling windows that covered two walls of the room. He's a genius...

"Okay, fine, let's go check out the rest of the house. I'll find Bre a nice room to stay in when she gets back."