December 13, 2012

Dec. 13, 2012

The last couple days have been eventful, to say the least. We restocked, almost got trapped in a horde in the process. Luckily between Bruce's machete and J.J. with his claws of death, we got out of it. Unfortunately, we lost a very loved member of our group because of our lack of planning.

We spent all of yesterday holed up in the inn. It seems the hordes are also moving north. Many groups, small and large with varying levels of intelligence wandered past our safe house. We kept the curtains closed and any light source extinguished lest the undead saw us in here.

Bruce pointed out this morning that with an extra head to care for we needed to stock up on more pharmaceutical goods and food.

"Get up." Bruce said before rolling me off the bed and onto the floor. I sat up and realized Carrie had already been rudely awakened and was on the floor beside me.

"Really?" I grumbled.

He only nodded and smirked, walking out of the room and beckoning us to follow.

I pulled myself from the floor and Carrie and I left the room, heading for the kitchen and hearing a thud from Jordan's room along the way.

"Good morning." Carrie scoffed.

We were already in the kitchen when an angry Jordan and Bruce (looking very pleased with himself) walked in.

"Listen up." Bruce said. "Were eating, searching then leaving."

"Wait...what?" Jordan asked. "Who put you in charge?"

"No one 'put me in charge' but if I see a good opportunity, I'm going to be sure we take it." He pulled out a seat and sat beside me at the table. "The hordes are thinning, we've only seen a few pass by since yesterday. We need to get restocked and get out of here while we still can."

"But Carrie's ribs are still not healed, she won't be able to walk very far." I said.

"Well then, she'll just have to suck it up or get left behind."

My mouth dropped at his words and Jordan looked about ready to argue before Carrie piped up.

"He's right, guys." She said, glaring daggers, challenging us to argue with her. "We can't stay here forever and we can't guarantee there won't be another increase on the undead that shuffle past."

"How are you going to run if you have to? You're still in pain, Carrie. We see you limping around everyday."

She looked at me with a sad smile. "I'll make do. If it gets too bad, just leave me behind."

"No!" Yelled Jordan, red in the face and shaking in anger.

"You have no say." She said calmly. "It's my life and I'm not going to drag you down or make you lose yours having to play hero. I've already done it once and it wont happen again."

Bruce shot Jordan a cocky grin and stood from the table, grabbing the duffle bags and throwing us each a can of veggies and some chips. "Eat up." He said. "We leave in an hour." He grabbed a can for himself and left the room.

After opening our 'breakfast' we ate in silence, mulling over Carrie's words and each hating the fact that she was right.

"Guys." She broke the silence. "You look like you're going to your own funerals. Buck up, I'm sure nothing will happen." If only she knew what was to come.

We quickly finished eating, packed all of our gear and headed out toward the main road, eager to get more food, first aid and get on our way. Tillamook was just a few towns away and even on foot we should be there in just a few days time.