December 19-20, 2012 PT 2

Dec. 19-20, 2012 PT 2

I woke this morning in the cabin and covered in blankets. I was so exhausted last night I hadn't even woken up when Jordan moved me to the small couch down below. I didn't bother to dress as I left the room, just grabbed an extra sweater to gaurd against the cold outside.

I walked out into the eerie morning air. All was calm, quiet. Not wanting to wake anyone, I set about heating the pan and cooking up the last bit of potatoes and bacon while I basked in my privacy. I waited until the sun broke the green cliffs before waking the others.

After the last of breakfast was gone, it was time to pack the first load of necessities. We were going in two trips, splitting the supplies up evenly, in case anything happened along the way. God forbid we get raided, only to lose all of our food or all of the weapons in one go.

Bruce docked us amongst other abandoned vessels, hoping not to stand out to any other passerby. We hid the other half of the supplies the best we could and climbed off of the S.S. Zompocalypse and onto the final stretch. Just another few miles to go, guided only by my memories and an old compass. We wouldn't arrive until well after nightfall but we weren't stopping for anything.

As we walked into the bay town of Seaside, Oregon, Carrie pointed out our lack of any light source so we decided to check shops and houses we may see along the way.

"I know there's a general store just up the street here," I spoke up, "we used to stop in before camping to get snacks for the hike."

"Lead the way then." Bruce said and we all lined up, trooping up the street to The Seaside General Store.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

We came upon the wooden structure not long after. It was smaller than I remembered, more run down. It had been a few years since I'd been here but the feeling of nostalgia was overwhelming.

I took a few shaky steps towards the door before composing myself and giving it a push. It didn't budge.

"Guys, it's locked up." I said, discouraged.

We walked around the store, looking for a back entrance.

"Nothing." Jordan called from the opposite end of the store.

"Nothing here either." Carrie called from our end.

"I hate to tell you this but it looks like we'll just have to break in." Bruce, stationed in front of the shop, called out.

It would be easy to break a window, or even knock the door in on such an old building but we really didn't want any attention on us. Seeing as we were just passing through, we hadn't taken the time to check the town over for any living dead.

"Window or door?" I asked after we'd all joined Bruce at the front of the shop.

"Either way it's going to be loud and sure to draw attention." Carrie pointed out.

"Door it is then." Bruce said before taking a few steps forward and kicking the door in. A loud crack, followed by the sound of splintering wood, filled the air and we all went on high alert, looking around us for anything that may have come running. Nothing so far.

"If I didn't know how old that door was," I said to Bruce as I walked passed him to enter the shop, "I'd be impressed."

"Shut up." He said with a slight smile as he pushed me the rest of the way in.

The shop inside was dark, the few windows inside were covered in dust, letting very little light through. The air was stale and smelled of mildew.

"Should have done a window." Jordan said from beside me. "Let some of this nasty air out."