The Surgeon Sequel - The Twins Part 16

Start from the beginning

Despite the gore, I remain focused on The Surgeon as Twin: 1 grapples to aid her sibling, "Oh, I get all the clinical study stuff that brought you big bucks. But, your primary motive was a sick desire for revenge. And you first exacted that revenge by abducting the man who you blamed for not doing more to convince your parents to allow you be male. You enforced a gender reassignment on him as a warped kind of punishment. I often wonder how many more victims there were in between him and me,” I say.

The Surgeon chuckles, “Oh, there have been many…”

I cut in with…”Except – I’m not one of your victims!” “No. I survived. I adapted. And amidst all of the horror you threw at me, I found a great love and happiness. With me – you failed,” I say, with a cathartic satisfaction in my smile.

She returns a smile and raises an eyebrow, “Failed, me? Never. That’s not a word that sits in my vocabulary, in life or death – is it?” Her question is addressed to Twin: 1, who has removed the scalpel from her sister’s eye and is putting a rudimentary dressing on it. 

Twin: 1 stands, walks toward the glass and swipes away a smear of blood so she can see me clearly, “The Surgeon never fails. Nor do we, her clones,” she says. 

I smile, smugly, “Well, that was a spectacular fail on your sister’s part,” I say.

She chuckles and looks at her twin sitting cross-legged on the floor, “She’s a little sensitive to elevated sounds. But, my sister loves inflicting pain, AND, receiving it. So that would have been an unexpected treat for her,” she says, stroking her sister’s head. I note Twin: 2 is now gently rocking and purring with pleasure. I shake my head, “You’re beyond sick, you really are!” I say, with controlled anger. 

She smiles, “Go to hell, Tanya – we have work to do,” she says, walking toward the wall where she bangs a button with force. 

I note the glass begin to mute and darken.

Kade’s eyes dilate with despair as his hand reaches out to me. But by the time I reach out to him the glass is black. 

Not being able to see what’s happening sends me into a blind panic and I change my tone – “Hey, wait. Come back, you said his surgery had to be a joint decision. Hit the lights and let’s talk,” I shout, banging on the glass in desperation.

Silence.

“KADE! Can you hear me? 

Silence.

“Kade – don’t agree to the surgery. They probably won’t release Kelly’s soul anyway! Please, do all you can to prevent them doing this. I want you back, Kade. I want us back – we should never have come here, we made a mistake – Kade, can you hear me?”

Silence.

I race round the room in an effort to control my madly beating heart.

Then I slump to the floor: powerless, broken and failed.

……

Curled up in a fetal position all the good times Kade and I shared together return to torment me. I here his mother’s and Troy’s last words to him: “I love you more than life, my SON.” And, “I love you like a BROTHER. 

Their use of the male gender and knowing what’s going on behind this blackened glass wall intensifies my turmoil.

Then – amidst the torment, a thought comforts me: is this a nightmare?

I stand up and walk toward my flying pack. I take the small knife from the pocket and draw the blade hard against the top of my left hand.

The searing pain that shoots through me shatters that thought.