31| Space

Chapter 31: Space (Hope's POV)

I stepped out of the bathroom just as Blake woke up, squinting at the brightness of the room. That's what happens when you've got white curtains. "Morning," I said. 

He rubbed his face, sitting up slowly and grabbing his shirt. "Morning." He pulled the button-up on but left all the buttons open. 

I went and sat in front of him, staring at him. "Hi," I said. 

"Hi," he said softly. I don't even know what the fuck happened last night but clearly, he had lost his shit. And left me with the mess to clean up. I have to decide what the hell we're going to do. There were two thoughts in my mind. 

One, I ask for some space. I thought we could take a break and maybe work on it separately. I was so sure that's what I was going to do. Ask for space. Space. Space. Space. Does space fix all problems? No. No, it doesn't. Space increases problems. We're going to have to work on this one together. I'm not giving up on us just yet. 

"I got spare toothbrushes from Willow, they're in the bathroom. You should freshen up and then we can head out," I said while standing up. 

He grabbed my hand and pulled me back down. "Did I ruin it, Hope?" I stared at him silently. "Did I ruin everything?" 

"No," I shrugged. "But obviously, we've got some things to talk about. And then work on. Both of us. Are you willing to?" 

He nodded instantly, "Yes. I am definitely willing to." I sighed, facepalming before letting out a chuckle. I heard him shuffle before his arms went around me. He lay down and took me with him. I pulled away enough to look at him and brushed his hair out of his eyes. "I'm sorry I made you mad at me," he mumbled. 

"It's not okay but... it's okay, you know. It happens. I'm surprised you remember." 

"I wasn't wasted, just mediocrely drunk." 

"Right, why don't you freshen up, and then we can head back? And then we can talk." 

He nodded, "Talk. Okay." He got out of bed and went into the bathroom, closing the door behind him. I took this time to gather my stuff and removed smudged mascara from under my eyes. He came back out and grabbed his keys while pulling his jacket on. "Ready?" I nodded, taking his head as we tiptoed out. I know for a fact Willow is still asleep and because I was sober, I also know that Vince stayed over. 

We left the house and filed into his car, driving back in a comfortable silence. He stopped in front of my house, not turning the car off. "I'll shower and then come back, okay?" I nodded in understanding. He kissed me before I left and that gave me a little reassurance. It's gonna be fine. It's a small bump in the road, we're not going anywhere. 

I went straight up to my room, grabbing pajamas and going straight into the shower. I took off whatever was left of my makeup once I came out and I was just putting my slippers on when the doorbell rang. I went back downstairs, answered the door, and saw... James. 

"James, hi." 

"Hey, I kind of need to talk to you about something, can I please come in?" 

"Um, I really don't think it's a good time." 

"It won't take too long." 

"Okay," I sighed in defeat, letting him in. 

"About last night..." 

"It's fine, you don't have to-" 

"I did ask Spencer to kiss him." 

"Oh."