Chapter 32: Shacklebolt

Start from the beginning

Mr. Shacklebolt remained calm, "Duly noted. Though since you are a student, I expect you won't need to travel as much, would you? So I see no point in having an Auror investigate you if you're just here." 

"I still run a business. So I will still be traveling. I doubt sincerely that your Aurors would be able to track me for all my traveling though. I recall Mr. Langley only being around in some circumstances, but absent for most."

He looked at me in question, "Why did you wait so long to confront him?" 

 I shrugged, "Boredom. I hoped he would get better at his work. I was sorely disappointed." 

He looked down at his plate, "You appear very confident in your abilities." 

"To an extent. However, I'm simply a student who is still learning." 

He turned towards Dumbledore and asked him, "She's what- 22 years old now? Why is she a student here at such an old age?" 

Dumbledore glanced towards me as if to ask if he should respond, to which I briefly nodded. Holding a goblet in one of his hands, he said peacefully, "She entered the wizarding world at an older age, she was not born into it. She first experienced schooling for wizardry at the age of 20." 

Shacklebolt looked over towards me, "Interesting. You remain such a mystery. It would be of great interest to understand what you have to offer." 

I chuckled a bit at his comment, "For what reason? Because I can assure you Mr. Shacklebolt, I have no intention of ever working with the Ministry." 

"We are simply curious about you Miss Waters. I hope that you will be more forthcoming about your abilities so that we don't need to send any Aurors to observe you." 

"Mr. Shacklebolt, you and I both know that even if I show you my abilities, chances are you or someone else will send an Auror my way just to see if I can discover them again." 

He grinned and laughed, "I can't confirm or deny that. However, will you agree to at least providing some explanation?" 

An interesting idea came to mind as I thought about his request, "I won't simply tell you or show you, that's no fun. Additionally, I don't trust whoever that information may go to. But, what about a duel? Interested?" 

"I am many years your senior, I don't believe that would be fair." 

I rolled my eyes, "And my abilities wouldn't make the fight fair either. So it evens out to some degree." 

He hesitated a bit, to which I continued, "I'll go easy on you. And won't do anything too damaging. If I do, I'll help you heal." 

Finally he nodded, "Alright. After dinner? Outside or inside?" 

"We'll need the space, so outside on the grounds will do fine. After dinner works for me." I looked over to the professors, "You all are more than welcome to watch. I don't want students seeing though, it'll just create more rumors about me that I don't wish to hear." 

Some of them nodded and said they'd come, interested in whatever would happen. Satisfied, Shacklebolt and I continued eating and making small talk. I was primarily focused on all the fun things I could do in a duel though.

-----------------

When all the students finally left to their dorms, with Filch assuring Dumbledore he'll keep an eye out for any misbehaving students, we all walked out to the grounds just outside the castle. I walked alongside Remus, who seemed more worried than ever. 

Nudging his side I said, "What makes you so concerned, Remus?" He shook his head lightly, "I know you'll likely have no issue with him, but I'm not sure what to expect. I assume since he's a high level Auror, he'll have a few tricks up his sleeve. I hope you won't get hurt too badly."