Warning Signs

How can you tell that someone is being bullied?

Their actions, appearance, everything can change. Some changes may be subtle, you may have thought that it was normal. A bruise may come with an excuse that may seem logical (I hit my head on the floor when I fell out of bed last night.), but in reality, they came from an act of bullying. Hopefully using this warning signs, you will be able to identify people who have been bullied so you can find ways to help them.

Common warning signs:

- unexplainable injuries

- lost personal objects (such as jewelry, electronics, clothing, etc.)

- frequent headaches or stomach aches (most common sicknesses faked)

- changes in eating habits

- difficulty sleeping/ frequent nightmares

- declining grades/ not wanting to go to school or in public

- sudden loss of friends/ less social

- self-destructive behaviors (talking about cutting, running away, etc.)

- appears emotional, insecure, and/or frightened

- refuses to talk when asked what's wrong

As you can see, many of these signs involve using common sense to determine what is happening. I would suggest if you see someone that displays a lot of these signs that you check in on them. Remember that these signs can also indicate depression, substance abuse, or other situations common in teens. Hopefully you will use what you just learned to help others. I hope you have a good day!