36: Apologies and Acceptance

Gianna Romano

"Papa?" I called out while poking my head into his office.

"Come in mia bella (my beautiful)."

I stepped inside and closed the door behind me before going over to sit on one of the chairs in front of his desk. My father and I haven't really had a proper chance to speak with everything going on and I wanted to clear the air with him before I leave with the others for America tomorrow afternoon. I know he feels some type of way, even if he hasn't shown it. He's pushed that aside for the sake of my wellbeing but I need to make sure that we are on perfectly good terms before I leave. This is just something I have to do. I've never had any type of conflict before with him and I don't want to start now.

"Are you mad at me?"

"Mad at you? Why would I be mad at you?"

"I ran away from here and didn't care about the fact that there was a hit out on my head. I left without informing anybody and I put my own life in even more danger, not to mention getting Roman caught up in my mess."

Papa sighed. "I'm not going to lie to you Gianna, I was livid. If I'd have found you before that pathetic asshole did then I probably would've said a lot of things that I didn't mean or done something that I'd later regret. I was furious and I'll own that."

"I'm sorry papa but I felt like I had to do it. Being stuck here with all the extra guards just put things even more into perspective for me and that's when I knew I needed to leave. I couldn't stay here when my heart was aching for Devonte."

"I know and I see that now. I'm sorry sweetheart, I just didn't want anything happening to you. You're my little girl no matter what and I never want anything to happen to you." He said before shaking his head and smiling. "You really love that boy, don't you?"

"Very much."

"He's good for you. I know nobody would believe that I just said that but it's true. You balance each other out quite nicely and he treats you how you deserve to be treated. He's already family in my eyes."

I couldn't help but smile like a kid in a candy store. It means more than anyone would ever be able to comprehend that my father approves and accepts my boyfriend into our family. He's the only person I've ever had that's always been here for me twenty four seven. Vittoria was around most of the time but when she wasn't it was just papa and I. He's my rock and I'm forever indebted to him for providing me with a brilliant life, even if we are tied into the mafia.

"I'm glad you do, although even if you didn't approve I still would've gone with him. My mind was made up."

Papa laughed. "I know. You've always been a stubborn girl but I'm glad you followed your heart."

"And I'm glad that you finally did the same."

I mean that too. There hasn't been anyone since my mother - it's always been he and I, but now that all changes. He's found love and he's found love in a woman who has been here from the start. I've always thought they'd make a great couple but then I would always wonder back to the fact that papa doesn't like to mix business with pleasure...I guess he threw out the rule book this once. I'm glad though. He deserves to be happy and to find someone who genuinely loves him and wants to be with him because of the kind of person he is, not for his fortune. I couldn't imagine anyone else being my stepmother. Vittoria practically already was. Their relationship in my eyes was meant to be.

"I'm sorry that I walked out right as you announced your engagement to Vittoria. It was just took much for me to handle and that was the thing that pushed me to leave. I didn't understand why you could be happy and I couldn't."