THREE SECONDS

Disclaimer

This is a work of fiction.The characters, organizations and events portrayed on this story are only products of the author's imagination and have been used fictionally. Any resemblance to an actual incident is purely coincidental.

No part of this story may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted without the author's consent.

Dedicated to my friends . . .

Contains errors! Even so, I am open for criticisms.

Read at your own discretion!

Date started:

12/20/2020

Date Ended:

2/20/2021

Marynald's

Can you confess your feelings to someone you love in just three seconds?

Marynald'

***
"Birthday ni Frency bukas, dapat nandoon ka!" Lowelyn says and looks at me for a long moment, probably gauging my reaction. And as what I should, I smile sincerely and nod.

"Pupunta ka?" she asks again, confusion visible in her voice. We haven't met for years, and so I can't deny the fact that I missed them to the core. However, I am already an intern in a Publishing Company, and it is my job to send two manuscripts in just one week. I just can't enjoy knowing I still have ongoing works.

"Miss ko na kayo," I whisper sadly. Even though I am finally here in province for good, it still feels like there's still a long distance between me and my friends. And it isn't good. It isn't good for I am only focusing in my work.

Yesterday, my father called me and asked for a favor for me to go back here. And regardless this place reminds me about my terrifying memories, I didn't have the choice but to help him managing our rice field and farm.

When I was in my elementary days, I was filled with love from my mother, but when she went gone, my world went in turmoil. By that, I hated my dad, I loathed him to the core that I wished him dead. But everything became complicated the moment truth made me realize how fool I was for hating him like that.

And now, I am here in my hometown, conquering my fears, putting my heart in line.

Truth to be said, I unwillingly came here. I don't want to live here for this place is the reason why I am feeling empty. The reason why I feel like I am an empty shell desperately facing her nightmares.

"Miss ka na rin namin, 'no! Ilang taon kaya kang wala rito! Tapos 'di mo pa kami kinausap!" says Lowelyn. With that said, she bows down her head as if she remembers something crucial... And painful.

No.. Please.

"Marynald, alam mo namang magkaibigan sila ni Frency at Joyce," she tells me, still examining my reaction, but I can't nod anymore. "Alam mo naman na naging magkaibigan din kami. Hindi ka namin gustong masaktan, pero sa tingin ko ay kailangan mo na siyang harapin."

I look away as fast as I should. I can't be mad at her words because I know she has a point, but no matter how hard I try to forget, I always ended up hurting and blaming myself again. I know this isn't normal because I have been carrying such a big pain since...

Maybe it's time to let go, right? Maybe it's time to accept my past. Maybe it's time to move on?

"Kaya mo 'yan," Lowelyn assures and pulls me in for a hug. I don't know what happened but I suddenly burst into tears, silently blaming and loathing myself again. "Kung nakayanan mo ngang kalimutan siya sa mga taon na wala ka rito, kakayanin mo rin ngayon," she whispers again. And I am taken aback when she cries silently, but I don't have any strength to mutter some words.

He is the reason why I left this place, and it is painful to the core knowing I am about to meet him again, that I must meet him again. I should be grateful, I remind myself. Because I can finally have the chance to say my apologies for my unspeakable actions years ago.

A minutes later, I finally see myself drastically begging for his forgiveness. Thank, God, for I finally see myself desperately wanting to feel his embrace. This must be the right time to let go all my hidden emotions because they are being chained in my heart for a long time, making me live like a lifeless empty shell.

•••

Marynald was genuinely happy when she was a juvenile, but when years had passed, world had shown her how painful the reality was. Her hatred for her father was the reason why she met someone in an unexpected moment. That night, her self-love boosted.

She never expected that she would meet someone like him. Because for her, life is such a mess, that life only revolves in obnoxious happenings. Regardless, that man made her realize that there were a lot reason to live in this world.

Her young heart was fluttered knowing there was someone willing to help her live meaningfully, that there was someone willing to accept her imperfections in life.

Indeed, she was lucky for she had someone like him who could sacrifice his everything just to save her from being drowned by reality.

For her, his love was too good to be true, but that man was giving her the feeling she never knew existed. And little did they know, something was coming that would test their feeling towards each other, something that would make them live with full of regrets and doubts.

Before...

When he was trying to fix the things up, she was hurting him at the same time.

When he was trying to understand her, she was also insulting his imperfections.

But in the middle of her misery, he was still there to save her.

Story tagline: Can you confess your feelings to someone you love in just three seconds?