Obsession Chapter 2

Start from the beginning

He merrily introduced me to the rest of the class as 'miss Lily Hammond from New York' and made me sit at the window, beside a guy named Charlie. 

The last period of the day was P.E. It's OK I guess, I like running, and soccer's fun. Unfortunately for me, though, soccer was not the game played today - volleyball was. So not only did I make a fool of myself on my first day, but I made a fool of myself on my first day in front of what's-his-face (I really needed to know his name! It was killing me!). 

As I went home (by foot, mind you - I don't have a car), after saying goodbye to Emma who was still in the showers when I left (she had gym together with me) and leaving that note to the school's secretary, I could think of nothing else than his face and it made me so angry I could burst. Not him exactly, but that I couldn't stop thinking of him and of the fact that every time I saw him, he seemed to be staring at me. It was creepy, yet sort of flattering. I, in turn, had tried NOT to look at him, as much as I could. 

When I came home, the first thing I did was, as usual, to wash the dirty dishes in the sink, before I went upstairs and crashed upon my bed where I worked a bit on the English essay that we'd been assigned due next week. At six o'clock I gave up and went downstairs to make dinner. 

I ate on my own just as every night since my mom worked late, and then walked back upstairs to start unpacking my clothes - those were what I'd be needing first. When I'd unpacked five boxes of clothes I crashed on my bed in my underwear and quickly fell asleep, dreaming of strong arms, black hair and piercing green eyes.

Cain's POV 

The rest of the day went by in a blur; the only thing clear in my mind was the face of Lily Hammond. Every time I saw her or just heard her voice, my heart would skip a beat. At lunch I made sure to sit so that I could watch her the whole hour. She'd made friends with Emma Edwards, which was good. Their group was a mix of different kind of people, but they held together and didn't dump you for wearing the wrong kind of shoes or something. 

Of course Tommy noticed - how could he not have when all I'd been doing all day was staring longingly at a girl I had barely talked to? At first he thought she was just my next "victim", but soon thought better of it (after I nearly kicked his ass). 

Tommy was in on the whole werewolf stuff - he was one himself - so after watching me closely all day, he came to the conclusion of me having found my mate.  

At first I laughed at him, then I frowned. My mate? That couldn't be, right? Hardly any weres found their mates, even if they spent their whole lives searching, and I just happen to stumble upon mine? 

But at the same time I so hoped him to be right, because - well, who wouldn't want to have Lily Hammond as mate? She was pure perfection. She was everything. She was... my mate? Could it be? Could I really be so lucky? I felt as if my stomach was full of butterflies at the mere thought, and a big grin spread across my face when I imagined her in front of me, her beautiful voice. 

What if? 

All in all, Lily was in three of my classes, plus lunch period. My heart skipped every time I saw her, even when just passing in the corridor. God, she was beautiful. She had this confidence about her, as if nothing could hurt her, and she could do anything. I agreed with her. Nothing WOULD hurt her, not as long as I was alive. Her getting hurt would kill me. 

When I got home that day, I decided that the first thing I was going to do was talk to my dad. Surely he would know if there was the possibility of her being mine. 

The back door opened into the kitchen, where my father sat at the wooden table, eating a sandwich. A really, really BIG sandwich. 

"Wow. Hungry much?" I asked, trying to avoid the subject a few seconds longer.