Chapter 27

Brooks POV

I wander around campus as the leaves around me change, the weather is cooling off and there's a brisk wind swirling around me as I slowly make my way back to the frat house.

It's been a month since I came back to school and all I can think about is getting back to Sydney. I felt like we were finally getting a chance to commit to each other and then we were pulled apart again by the distance. My thoughts are full of lost time and regrets about not standing up to my dad years ago but the fear of what would happen....what ended up happening....he hasn't spoken to me since. He avoided me before I left and every phone call I have made has gone unanswered or responded to by my mother making up some bullshit excuse for him.

"Give him time, he's just upset right now." She would defend.

Upset? Because of who I am in love with or because I didn't follow one of his stupid ass rules? He's not even man enough to have a conversation with me about it, he's a coward. My cheeks flame red just thinking about it.

I'm brought out of my anger when my phone starts buzzing in my pocket. I answer,

"Hey, beautiful..."

"Well hi," Sydney says I can almost picture her pouty lips as her voice floats through the phone.

"How's your day going?" I ask her.

"It's good, I finally get to practice today so if I'm going to make any cheer tryout deadlines then I need to get my ass in gear."

"You just need to make sure you're careful, I don't want to have to come to beat some cheer lifters' ass for dropping you on your head."

"I'll be fine, don't worry you'll put wrinkles on that pretty little face. I better go change though, Coach K will kill me if I'm late. The reason I called though, I was wondering...have you decided if you're going to come home for fall break ?" She questions, excitement surfacing in her voice.

"I don't know Syd...." I hesitate.

"I understand..." She pouts disappointment clear in her tone.

" I still haven't heard from my dad..." 

"Well...the Graves' couch is always available. But I gotta go...love you."

"Love you too." And the line goes dead.

My thoughts and feelings feel cloudy over this tension created within my family... I don't know if I'm ready to face them but I desperately want to see Sydney. Pushing the question to the back of my mind I tell myself I still have a few days to think about it. Maybe by then, I'll have heard from my dad and we can work this all out before I drive myself straight back into the storm...I doubt it, but here's hoping.

Sydney's POV

I haven't been his sore in a long time. I had been in pretty good shape from cheer and my regular workouts but not being able to do any of those for a month and a half has seriously kicked my ass. The practice was grueling, I stunted, tumbled, and cheered my heart out. Coach and Quinn kept yelling at me to take it easy but I couldn't. I have so much time to make up for if I'm going to be tryout ready in March.

I stayed after to do some extra stretching, my flexibility and jumps were slacking from the lack of activity my legs have had so I need to work through that some more. Quinn, being the annoying best friend she is stayed back to too hover over me to make sure I didn't explode or something. I swear she's as bad as a helicopter mom.

"I'm serious. I'M FINE!" My eyes widen as I shake my arms at her annoyed.

"I don't care. You, Sydney Elizabeth Graves cannot be trusted to be left in this weight room alone." She crosses her tiny arms across her chest.