18. Threads Pt. 1

A lone woman, draped in white perched herself on a stone drenched moonlight. It illuminated her already milky skin; all the more when her pale lips parted as she chuckled. "Come here, my cute little puppets. Dance like madmen until your limbs get chopped off."

Precise. A master of her minions. She tugged on the many threads that spun endlessly from her fingertips.

"Nothing will obstruct us." Her son vowed, looking over the canopies of his home. High above the dirt, not even the wind could tilt his balance. He raised his equally white hands to the sky, gazing at the patterned web he'd woven between his fingers. "The five of us have been living a blissful life. Our ties will never be broken."

--

The forest was as creepy as it could get. Wood creaked when it shouldn't have and fog clouded the air to a hazy and suffocating thickness. She tried her hardest to conceal the way every single entity in this damned place radiated misfortune and misery. Atrocious seemed like the best way to describe the way everything from the stench to the leaves that fell from alien-like branches.

"It's back..." The man mumbled, it didn't sound natural in the slightest. "The minute I heard it, I turned around and saw the others hacking each other."

"Where's it coming from?" She glanced around her, the three slayers staying back to back. Crack! The new presence entered their atmosphere in a drab, dead manner. Slumped over themselves and dragging their blade in the ground. Blood trailed down from the side of their head and through the dark material of their slayer uniform, colouring the 'destroy' emblem in dried up reddish brown. The creaking sound rang in their ears as if it meant to taunt them. Every footstep multiplied to another, from one direction to the next.

"Watch out!"

Shink! In a dead frenzy the approaching hunters swung their blades wildly in the air and at the group. Slashing the air at odd angles that warped the way they dodged each blow. It was as if they were being dragged through every action with a string by their joints. She'd never heard of warriors trained to dance the battle field in such a way, they had to be manipulated by someone.

"They're all idiots. Don't they know attacking their comrades is against the rules?" Inosuke yelled. He flipped over them and kicked the back of a slayer that tried to stab him from the side. "Watch as I punish each one of them!"

Despite the situation Nezuko smirked at Inosuke, surprised that apart from his stubborn character she picked up, he actually learned. "Wait! They're alive, Inosuke. They're moving strangely. It's like they're being manipulated. Besides, didn't you say attacking our allies is an offence?" Nezuko drew her sword and in a loud clunk it locked with the slayer's.

"Don't you tell me what to do!"

Their battle continued, wrestling each slayer one by one to the ground when her hand came up woven with a gleaming string between her fingers. "Eh?" With one swift slash of her sword she sliced at the air above the slayer on the ground, catching a glimpse of the delicate threads that broke loose in the small pocket of moonlight. "I knew it! Guys, they're attached to threads! Cut the threads!"

Inosuke wasted no time. He leapt at the slayers swinging his twin blades at the air wildly. "Tch, I noticed them sooner than you," he said, landing on his feet. He huffed proudly at himself when the soft clattering of tiny legs wasn't so soft after all.

Their limbs pricked over her skin though she tried to ignore it. 'Where's the demon? Where's the puppet master?' She thought, brushing off their tiny weight on her clothes until they yanked her arms from side to side. Ziiiiiip. Her gut began to rattle in quick and mildly painful tugs, whispering louder and louder to her, Your arm! Crawling on your arm!