Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Don't-"

"Why?"

"I'll get it done. I just need-"

"Give me one reason I should continue to allow you to pursue her when you have failed at the one thing I-"

"Because she's mine!" Xavier shouted, the anger in his face suddenly disappearing as a flash of panic glistened in his eyes. He had not meant to yell at Riddle, though masking his emotions was not one of his strengths.

As Tom stared coldly at him, Xavier shrunk in his bed, avoiding the demonic gaze of the towering Prefect standing before him. He sat there in a tense anticipation, waiting to see how Riddle would react to his outburst, but Tom only watched him, shaking his head as a light-- yet hollow-- laugh escaped his lips. "Your first mistake was being foolish enough to think you could own someone like Hendrix."

"I-"

"She cannot be bought with dresses, jewels, or flowers. I know you're used to paying for whatever you want, Lestrange, but that isn't going to work for you this time. The only way to truly get Hendrix to open up to you is by understanding her mind... her values. You need to be intelligent enough to decipher her," he said, his voice a low growl. "And, unfortunately, intelligence is one thing your money can't buy."

Xavier opened his mouth to speak, but decided to opt for silence, merely watching as Tom made his way over to the exit. He put his hand on the doorknob, but before he left, he said, "I will allow you one more opportunity to prove to me that you are worthy of my orders." He paused for a moment and looked over his shoulder, his dark eyes meeting Xavier's when he said in a chillingly calm voice, "And if you ever dare raise your voice against me again, the only thing you'll be getting out of Hendrix will be a eulogy."

Without another word, he opened the door and walked out of the room, leaving behind the speechless heir with nothing more than a paralyzing fear and an urgency to prove himself.

-------

Avalon and Zelda stuffed their belongings into their bags as Transfiguration came to an end the next day. The room was filled with the chattering of their peers discussing the Yule Ball, assignments, and Quidditch. Avalon's eyes met her professor's and he offered her a subtle smile, which she half-heartedly returned.

She'd be lying if she said she wasn't still irked at Dumbledore and his incessant need to run metaphors out of his mouth every time she spoke to him. Sometimes she wondered how Harry had put up with him all those years.

As she began to walk towards the exit, she felt someone grab her wrist from behind and raise her arm over her head, spinning her around playfully until she landed into his hold and the familiar scent of wine and cologne tickled her nose.

"Hello, darling," Xavier cooed as his lips left a lingering kiss on her cheek. He turned his attention to Zelda, a grin on his face as he winked. "Hey, Shacks."

"Hey, Strange," Zelda replied with a roll of her eyes.

"Mind if I steal your roommate?" he asked.

"I don't think you'd listen to me either way," she replied.

"Right you are," he chuckled, tugging Avalon away despite her light protest. His fingers intertwined with hers and he dragged her out the door before she could utter a final goodbye to her laughing friend.

"Xavier," Avalon whined, though he merely ignored her pleas. "Xavier, where are we going?"

"I planned us a date," he replied proudly as he wove them through the crowd amassing outside.