Chapter Fourteen

"Avalon!"

    Her eyes shot open and she sat up in her bed, a thin layer of sweat on her forehead as she looked around in the dark room, rugged breaths escaping her lips as she awoke from her sleep. Zelda's eyes met hers and she noticed her roommate sitting on the edge of the bed, her hands gently placed on Avalon's shoulders.

    Neither one of them spoke as Avalon tried to regain her composure, placing a hand on her own chest and feeling her heart racing beneath her skin. The nightmares had been getting worse and worse and she didn't know how to stop them. Every night brought forth another terror, haunting her mind and plaguing her rest with memories of her darkest moments and deepest fears that made her scream and lash in her sleep.

    "I'm so sorry," she said breathlessly, avoiding Zelda's eyes.

    "You never have to apologize to me for this," her roommate said, her voice soft as she climbed into the bed and hugged Avalon. "We had to wake up soon, anyway. You only made my life easier," she said with a smile. Zelda had a natural kindness to her. It came effortlessly and she always knew how to make sure Avalon didn't feel guilty for waking her up. Avalon knew she was beyond lucky to have been paired up with such a selfless roommate-- her stay here would have been significantly harder had she been living with anyone other than Zelda, who had quickly grown to be one of her closest, and only, friends. "Do you need to talk about it?" Avalon shook her head, but she wished so desperately that she could. "That's okay," Zelda said, giving Avalon's arm a little squeeze. "Hey, look at me. Today is going to be so much fun, alright?" Avalon forced a smile and nodded. She had almost forgotten that today was the day of the Hogsmeade trip. "Let's get dressed."

    Zelda stood and headed towards her dresser, staring at her assortment of clothes for a few moments, hesitating more than usual.

    "You're going to look great no matter what you wear," Avalon said, making her roommate smile shyly.

    "I'm just nervous," Zelda replied. She had finally gathered the courage to ask the Gryffindor from her Charms class, Jane Lawrence, to accompany her on the Hogsmeade trip. Jane had said yes, and not a moment had passed since then when Zelda hadn't been stressing over the date.

    "Zelda Shacklebolt doesn't get nervous," Avalon proclaimed, getting up out of bed and walking over to her friend's side, reaching over her shoulder and picking out a gorgeous red dress from within the dresser, handing it to Zelda with a smile. "How could she not have a great time with you?"

    "You're the best," Zelda said, holding the dress up and grinning. "What are you going to wear?"

    "That's a great question," she replied before walking over to her own dresser. Her fingers latched onto a navy sweater and black skirt, holding them up for approval from her roommate, who nodded enthusiastically.

    "What are you and Xavier planning on doing?"

    "He's meeting me at the base of the Tower but I'm not sure about the rest of the day. I'd assume we'll end up at a pub, though," Avalon laughed.

    Zelda rolled her eyes. "Does that boy never grow tired of drinking?"

    Avalon replied, "It truly is his favorite pastime. I fear his idea of a romantic date is drinking together while he talks about himself."

    "It's times like this when I thank the heavens that I am not attracted to men," Zelda said, causing Avalon to burst into a laugh.

She'd be lying if she said that she wasn't the tiniest bit excited for the day. The thought of going to Hogsmeade made her think of all the times she and her own friends had spent time in the town, exploring the shops and making memories filled with laughter, joy, and smiles.