27 | rumour has it

Start from the beginning

            "Miles?" Jensen's chest continued to heat up as she ran down the stairs.

            "Hey!"

            Jensen barely had time to acknowledge that he sounded cheerful—happy-go-lucky, even—when she clung to his torso and buried her head in his chest. He hadn't even had a moment to kick his shoes off.

            Miles' arms wrapped around her. "What's wrong?"

            Jensen frowned, pulled away from him but kept her arms around him. "You said Real Hollywood wrote articles."

            "Yeah."

            "Rocky wasn't wearing her mask. I didn't—I didn't even think, I—" Jensen shook her head, trying to find the right words. "I wanted to get her to a doctor and I forgot. I don't know how I did—"

            "Rhodes."

            "What?"

            "Did you look at the articles?"

            "I just got home."

            Jensen pretended to ignore Miles' eyes going to the NYU logo on their hoodie before going back to her face. "Changed first, though?"

            "In case."

            "Of?"

            "Look, your text was so uninformative—"

            "Oh my God, Rhodes."

            "I didn't know what to expect!"

            "I'm sorry. Should've been more specific."

            "You think?" Jensen asked. "I had to drive the kids home on the verge of a fucking panic attack—"

            "We're breaking up."

            "And then—" Jensen paused. Her face dropped. She took a step away from him. "What?"

            "According to Real Hollywood." Miles let out a snort.

            "Miles! Jesus Christ!" Jensen ran a hand through her hair. "Why aren't you using all your words at the same time? I'm going to—" She put a hand on her chest as it heated up. Drawing in a few too many breaths too close together. "Are you kidding me?"

            "That was bad timing. I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Miles put his hands on her biceps. "We're so together. Forever. I love you so, so much. That was a stupid choice of words and I shouldn't have stopped there and we're completely okay." Miles kissed her. "I'm sorry."

            Jensen pushed his hands off her and hugged him tightly again. "Stupid."

            "It was. I am."

            Jensen hugged him a little tighter. A not-so-subtle sign that Miles needed to hug her back. Which he did. Taking her head off his chest, Jensen looked him in the eyes. "Like. Big stupid."

            "I know," Miles said. "Don't let Rocky hear you say that though. That's on the same line as fart."

            Jensen managed a small laugh. "Promise me you'll use all your words for the next question I ask?"

            "For the rest of time," Miles said. "I promise. I'm sorry."

            "What did the articles say? Exactly."