amortentia

Professor Slughorn is a cheery teacher who wanted the approval of his students more than anything. Remus assumed that it was because he was a small, insecure man who wanted to achieve things in life by leeching off other people's successes but today, he deemed himself worthy in Remus' eyes.

One student sat at each table with a free seat next to them, which meant that half of the class was sitting. The other half of the class remained standing as Professor Slughorn explained his instructions.

"Since it is a new semester, everyone will be switching seats. The people who are standing may sit wherever they like but be careful with who you choose," Professor Slughorn warned. "You may choose your friends but remember you have to work with them and you do want a good grade, correct?"

Some students in the class who were paying attention gave small nods and Professor Slughorn clapped his hands together. "Right, then. Choose your partners," he announced.

Lily didn't even spare Caroline a glance as she passed the blonde and took a seat next to her other best friend, Severus Snape. Caroline couldn't blame Lily, really. If she could've chosen, she would've sat next to Severus too. He was much better at Potions and much smarter than Caroline overall. Meanwhile, Peter watched sadly as Remus passed him and sat down in the free seat next to Caroline.

Professor Slughorn started to explain the lesson for today, Amortentia. Every few seconds, Remus nervously turned his head and saw a glimpse of his partner before turning his head back down and staring at the black, plain desk.

Caroline put her hands on the desk in front of the two and started thumping them on the desk, making a low quiet thudump sound over and over. The lean boy could see her nails without craning his neck obviously so he decided to study her nails instead of her face.

He noticed how each nail was a different color but the corresponding nails were the same color so both her thumbs were a light blue, both her pointer fingers were a sunny yellow, and so on.

The blonde felt Remus watching her but she decided not to bring it up, in fear of scaring him or making him embarrassed. Professor Slughorn finished his presentation shortly after and Remus flinched slightly when Caroline stopped tapping her fingers and put her hand on his shoulder.

"Are you alright, Remus?" her concerned, airy voice pierced his ears but in a good way. He loved the way she said his name, like it was meant for her and only her to say it.

He kindly smiled at her but his smile faltered slightly when she removed her hand, leaving his shoulder colder than it was before. "I'm alright," Remus assured. "Why did you ask?"

"Professor Slughorn finished his lecture 5 minutes ago. We're supposed to be making the Amortentia ourselves now," Caroline explained.

"Right," Remus nodded. He awkwardly scratched the back of his neck and Caroline raised her thin eyebrows questionably. "Um, I wasn't really paying attention," Remus admitted.

Caroline smiled softly, causing Remus to smile along with her. "That's okay, we have to make it together anyways. I'll just walk you through it," Caroline offered. She left to get the ingredients from the back of the classroom and Remus took this time to pep talk himself in his mind.

Okay, Remus, you got this. You're awesome and cool. You're a Marauder, he thought to himself. Why wouldn't she want to be with you? All you gotta do is get through this period without making a fool out of yourself and then when the period's almost over, ask her to Hogsmeade this weekend. You got this, bro.

Caroline returned with the ingredients and set them on the table. "So I have ashwinder eggs, rose thorn, peppermint, moonstone, and pearl dust. So I will crush the ashwinder eggs and the moonstone and you can chop the rose thorn and peppermint. How does that sound?"