Chapter 18

It was Thursday and the girls were gathered in the living room with Aunty Ndidiamaka eating peppersoup and rice while watching TV. It was a Nigerian movie and it was hilarious. Nollywood was at the top of the list when it came to comedy for Damola. Her opinion might be biased but she refused to believe otherwise.

Everyone was deep into the movie, laughing hard and commenting on different scenes. For a moment, Damola thought about her life, where she was two weeks before and where she was at that time and with the broadest smile on her face, she sank deeper into the sofa, sipping her peppersoup. Maybe food was therapeutic after all.

Later that evening, Damola walked into her room to use the toilet when she heard her phine vibrate. She went into the toilet before returning to check what the notification was.

It was a notification from Instagram and she was annoyed that she had left her mobile data turned on but this notification made her stagger. It didn't look like it was real and in moments, her vision was blurred.

@_kingtaj: hi Damola

Damola dropped on her bed, her mibd racing. What was she supposed to do? Reply him? Ignore him? She stood up, about to run to Chika for help but she decided against it.

She had been healing and experiencing real growth for two weeks and some days. This was probably a test. A test to see if she had actually learnt a lesson from everything.

Sitting back on her bed, she breathed in deeply, twice, then began analysing the whole situation. "Why am I reacting like thus? Do I still have feelings for him? Definitely not. At least I know I don't like him but there may be residual feelings. There's only one way to find out anyways"

She picked up her phone and replied, "Hi Tajamal"

He was online at that moment and he texted back, "How are you?"

Damola was about to scream at him. She wondered why he remembered her, why he was asking about how she was and what gave him the effrontery. This test was a hard one.

"I am fine"

"That's good. Damola I'm really sorry for what happened and how I treated you"

"It's okay. What happened between you and Nike? "

" I didn't know if I could handle a long distance relationship so I had to let her know"

" Okay"

" I wish we could still be good friends. I kniw it's going to be difficult at first but I think we can make it happen. I miss your witty attitude"

At that point, Damola was convinced he was sent from evil people. "No Taj. We don't have to be friends. I've been doing fine without you for more than a month now and I will continue to be fine without you. I forgive you but we don't have to be friends"

" Wow that was harsh but it's cool"

" Yeah"

He didn't reply and Damola left it at that.

Damola walked down the stairs to the kitchen where Chika and Chichi were preparing for dinner.
"Damola you look like you have diarrhea"

With a resigned sigh and small smile, she waved her hands dismissively.

As she sat by the counter top, she recounted the whole incident. For one, she was happy that she had been self conscious enough to respond the way she did. She was proud of herself for being strong and not relapsing. There was evidence of her growth and she was grateful.

"Damola, do you know I will be going back home on Friday?"

Damola's head shot up. "Are you serious?"

"Yes"

A wave of sadness suddenly hit Damola. Chika had been sort of a source of strength for Damola in the two weeks they had been together. It was like she was the Kryptonite to her superpowers of choosing to let go of people that no longer served her but now, she would no longer be close to her physically.

Noticing Damola's mood change, Chika said, "I have your number. We can always call and talk to each other and see our pictures on Instagram too"

Damola gave a small smile. She wasn't hurt enough to cry. She walked to Chika and hugged her, "I'll miss you"

"Me too"

After releasing Chika from the embrace, she saw tears in her eyes. "Are you crying?"

"Water splashed on my eyes before you came to hug me"

Everyone, including Chichi who had been tearing up a bit too, laughed.

That night, Damola sat up staring at the ceiling. The real test would begin for her on Saturday when she would be leaving for home as well to return to the people she was once running away from. The thought of returning to what felt like a cage three weeks back, made her dizzy and knots tie in her stomach. However, part of her believed in the progress she had made. That she was able to look out for herself and be more comfortable in her own skin. That people always had opinions about everything and it wasn't her business but their problem. She knew now, that the person meant for her would not play her but communicate to her what the problem was. Ultimately, she knew now, that she is a better person and her past mistakes don't define her.

With this assurance and peace in her heart, she rolled to the side facing the full moon. The cool breeze, silver coloured clouds and bright yet gentle light of the moon sent her to sleep in minutes.

DAMOLAजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें