9. What You Waiting For?

Start from the beginning

"Melanie!" Hotch and I gushed in relief, grabbing her by her upper arm each and yanking her up out of the bunker. I felt something crunch and crack as I pulled and I winced as I remembered her badly injured arm. As she cried out in pain I lost my balance on the debris and fell back onto the metal chunks, bringing Melanie with me. 

"I'm so sorry!" I panicked. "Thank God you're alright!" I gushed, throwing my arms around her in a tight embrace. She was breathing heavily in my arms and clutching onto me for dear life. "It's okay, you're safe now, it's alright." I soothed her, peering over her shoulder at Hotch who was glaring down at us in concern. 

Behind us, the paramedics were scrambling over the debris.

"I was so scared." She whispered, clutching onto my shirt sleeves with her right hand and refusing to let go.
"I know, I was too, but you're okay now." I grinned into her hair, holding her tightly to me. 

I'm not sure when I realised she wasn't clutching onto me anymore, but I know that at some point I loosened my grip, and she fell to the debris beneath my feet in a bundle of gasps and terror.

The Daughter

There was a monotonous beeping sounding close to my head, and my nostrils were drowning with the smell of disinfectant. I could feel the crinkling sheets on my body and the paper gown against my skin. There was something sharp in my right hand, and wires all around me. It was the smell more than anything else that told me where I was.

I moaned under my breath, my mouth so dry and dehydrated.

"Melanie?" A broken voice came from my side and I frowned, my eyes fluttering open at the bright white lights above me. I blinked away from them, the light hurting my head even more.

"Here." The voice said, and seconds later a cup of water was being pressed to my lips. Pressure was released from my left hand and instead went to my head, gently guiding me to the cup as my eyes fluttered closed again and I took three long drags of the cool water. The pressure released from my head slowly allowing me to lay back against the pillows again. The cup was removed from my lips and the pressure returned to my left hand.

"Spence?" I whispered, my throat feeling like sandpaper.
"Hey," His voice sounded from my left side. I groaned and tried to sit up. "No, no, no that's not a good idea, just lay back down c'mon." I ignored what he was saying and batted his hands away, yanking on my pillows and sitting up.

My vision was kind of blurry and my eyes felt dry but that didn't mean I couldn't see the dark shadows beneath Spencer's eyes and the worry lines creasing his otherwise beautiful face.

"Melanie?!" Hotch's panicked voice called and he burst inside my private room. "Oh thank God you're alright!" He gushed, hurrying across the room and throwing his arms around me. I winced at the pain that shot through my torso and he gasped, pulling back. 

"I'm so sorry are you alright? How're you feeling?" I managed a half-smile as the pressure returned to my left hand. I realised with a stab that Spencer was holding it. "I feel as though a whole house has collapsed on my chest. But I s'pose that should be normal for this situation." Hotch smiled and tucked my hair behind my ear. 

"I'm so glad you're alright." He whispered emotionally.
"I am too." Spencer choked from beside me.
"How long have I been out?" I asked as Hotch took my right hand in his own.
"Only since we brought you in yesterday afternoon." He explained. I nodded my head, both hands laced in someone else's.

"Oh thank God! Guys, she's awake!" Garcia's voice squealed from the doorway and I looked up to see her squashing inside the room with bundles of balloons and flowers.