Chapter 32 A Resurgence

Start from the beginning

"What have we died for?" he whispered to himself. "What have we fought for all these years? What have we changed?"

He brushed the dust off of the display and moved on. The hall ended into a hexagonal chamber. Within lay a library, of sorts, that doubled as a counseling chamber. He has had many arguments, debates, and decisions brought to the round table that dominated the room's center. On all four sides of the room were bookcases several meters in height with ladders propped against them. There was enough space to fit the pendant bearers and any member who shared their cause. The center was a globe, the size of a cantaloupe, a black sphere with white quarts continents and seas of obsidian, spinning every so slightly in its elaborate golden casing. Between two enormous book casings, the far wall was a small stone slab, a semicircle that jutted from the wall and sloped to the ground floor. There, an even larger magic circle laid inlaid. He walked slowly towards it. He hadn't used it in years. It was meant for the direst of situations. But this was indeed dire, beyond that even. This would threaten the very existence of the empires of the west.

He stepped into the platform and felt that familiar tingle of roi in the air, responding to him. It vibrated even his bones as he placed a hand against the geometric pattern. He was far from being a mage, but it didn't take even a novice to use such a device. It was meant to give anyone who stood upon it instant access to anyone who shared the same pattern upon themselves. That very tattoo itched as he willed roi to the circle. He felt as if his mind was being stretched, near to pain but merely bordering on an uncomfortable squeeze.

He felt darkness surround him. Lines of roi were visible everywhere, even where he did not expect them. However, the strongest were distant lights to him, and he had to will himself to find them-first, a familiar one. A mass of churning oceans of roi terrified him at first until he realized what he had found. Its ravines of dangerous flows of roi were held firm by a damn of greater might. Then, he felt his perception shift, and instead, the roi took the appearance of a woman, with long braided blond hair, a scar running up her left cheek, an expression that warned of repercussions. The next was far more manageable. It was even greater in immensity but also calmer and smoother in its flows. This was most definitely something he could get behind. He blinked once more, and in this sea of black they floated in, he saw a man, face somewhat obscured, standing before him as well. His hair was also braided, black hair still clinging to youth, and a worn expression dawning him. And finally another, one just as intense as the first, but also smaller. He smiled as her presence formed. Her hair was in locks and loose. Her face was drowsy, a sign she was just awoken, but she was as focused as a rack once she realized the situation.

"What is it, James?" Celia asked. Her voice sounded as if he was listening to her with an ear filled with water. But it was easy enough to understand. "This is only meant to be used in the direst of situations."

"Isn't this dire, Celia?" He asked.

She shook her head. "I know. I'm actually glad you chose now of all times. I didn't want to believe that Talin had regained its power. Even after . . . then. But I recently encountered one of the Plithos."

"Plithos?" Remmus came with a curious question. "I thought we had done away with them all. And with Umerius dead how is this possible."

"It appears that is not the case," Celia looked over to him. "It appears that they have found a way to revive them in the time we last fought. But something was rather odd. I encountered Thanatos."

"Thanatos," Lizbeth repeated in a heated tone. "That bastard. I would rip him to shreds myself if I had the opportunity. Sister, you should have stayed in Hath where I could have helped you. We could have easily killed him."

Celia's eyes became downcast. "Are you sure, Lizbeth? Are you sure we can with our power so restricted? It's a torment even to touch the damned things. Just look what happened to . . ."