Chapter 29 The Ferry

Starting a day in a medical bed was beginning to be far too familiar for Celia these days. While it was true that she much enjoyed the life on the road, full of adventures and excitement, the encounter with Thanatos reminded her of something. No, not reminded. It just made it much clearer the dangers of simply being what she was. And now, her son was also in the midst of this dangerous storm forming around each of them. It is untold who will be claimed inside its rain and winds. Even the pendant is large of little use to her. As she looked down at her hands, covered in gauze, she could feel the faint, but alarming, pulse of pain in her arms. She dreads to see what they looked like. It was horrific when she saw what the pendant did to James. And for such a weak attack, she is surprised that she and the rest were not dead.

      Yes, her son is now pulled into the storm and must learn to navigate through it with or without her. Their mere existence endures that any sense of normalcy is forevermore gone. They will live the rest of their lives waiting for something to come, or they will have to seek the danger themselves. Lyse always had that spirit. Always had the courage to do what he thinks needs to be done. And when she saw him, helpless beneath a Plithos ready to end him, something dark and painful formed in her stomach. This was what their decisions had come to. She can live with having caused the death of an innocent girl. As hard as it is to admit it, she can live without Wilbur. Celia has prepared herself for that. But she can not live without her children. That is why she is back in this sickening game now, for her daughter
If Lyse would have died, and it was confirmed that there was nothing she could do to save her daughter, she doesn't see a way where she could live on. Even in the comfort of her sister, or Remmus or James. The only solace would probably be revenge, something that in itself will kill whatever made her who she is. It was a scary thought to her, and one she did her best to push aside.

        She looked over to see her armor laying in a pile on a bed opposite the small room. The door was closed and barred, and the windows closed shut so that the only light was from the two candles at her bedside. If this was a doctor's house, she could at least feel safe here. For the time being. A doctor would never let anything happen to their patient, especially ones in critical conditions. And guards are a must if he wasn't at their side right then. Celia leaned up, not straining as she was expecting, though moving her arms was more of a chore. She removed the gauze, sure that her healing ability would have ridden any after-effects by now. She paused once she got a peek at her palm. A green spot had formed, almost encompassing the entire palm now. Her fingers felt numb, and she hoped that was just a side effect of whatever balm or salve the doctor used. From her hand, veins of verdant green snaked along with her finger, and down half of her forearm, before they eventually faded. Even now, she could see the veins reversing, but at an excruciatingly slow pace. From what she can tell, it'll take a week to recover. An entire week just for that one attack. It was her fault. This was little in repentance, and she could accept that. Although now, she felt the power of the pendant far better than she ever had before. Before, she could faintly feel it's power for probably a few hundred paces. But now, she was acutely aware of exactly how far away it was from now, and how fast it traveled away. It was eerie. She could feel the pull as well. A calling to be whole, to be completed. It pulled her in that direction.

     She did her best to ignore it, but it was impossible. Like having all of the ocean crashing upon your ears. And for a Thirian, with quite the set of senses, she didn't dare try to get up and walk until she can adjust to this new seventh sense she has developed. She clenched her fists, ignoring the sharp pain it brought, and focused on that on its own. It was difficult, but she pushed that sense to the back of her mind, away from the forefront as a distraction.

     Is this what it is like, James? she asked sorrowly. We still misunderstand you, don't we?

       The door opened, and Celia was ready to jump up to defend herself. But she was only met by a porcelain mask of a boar, empty sockets looking at her with an immediate appraisal. Behind the doctor was Elena and Gray, who seemed to have had a conversation just before the doors opened. Elena had that same look, trying to assess her. From the way she straddled her sword, she was more tense than usual. Celia figured her to be far more of the cold and collected type, but this is something else. Gray at least was unchanged from last she saw him, still attentive. They all came into the room, and closed the door once more, surrounding her on her small bed.