Chapter 15- bruised and lucky to be alive

I awoke, grimacing in pain and during the day.
Someone had bandaged me up. Bandages lay across my breasts and my head too. I blinked groggily and saw a blond haired male sitting at my bedside.
"Armin?" I croaked.
"Layla your awake!" He went to hug me but stopped himself. He was crying in happiness.
"How long have I been out?" I croakily asked.
"Four days. One day longer than Eren."
"How is Eren?" I asked, Armin handed me some water and I drank greedily.
"Bruised and bandaged much like you." He paused. "Layla your lucky to be alive." He added. "Your injuries were extensive, at one point we almost lost you."
That hit hard.
I had nearly died.
"I did?" I whispered.
He nodded. "But we think whatever ability that allows you to control Titans and speak to them, must be helping you heal."
I looked down. It felt tight in my chest. Was that why she had wanted me? For the ability to control and speak to Titans?
"Layla?" Armin said concerned.
"She tried to take me too Armin. Me and Eren."
My hands were shaking and he grabbed one to still them.
"But she didn't. Captain Levi and Mikasa got to you both before she could." Armin soothed.
"Mikasas ok?" I asked.
"Yeah sitting with Eren, he wanted to come and sit with you but he's worse off than you funnily." He chuckled. "So she's making him rest."
"Go tell him I'm awake will you?" I asked, Armin squeezed my hand as an affirmative and left.

When he left I was left with my thoughts, hands shaking and breaths caught in my throat.
She had tried to take me too. What did she have to gain? And who was she? I struggled to remember faces. Must have been to do with my head. Faces swam blearily. She was there I knew she was!
But who was she?

After a while my hands stopped shaking and my breath came back to me. I had just experienced my first panic attack.
It didn't help that Armin came back and saw how much his information has caused me more pain, that he refused to leave me. It only took me to calm down and to explain that she must have been in the Cadet Corps for him to realise something and dash off to leave me.
Her name what was her name?

Annie.

Annie came to mind a few minutes later, so when Commander Erwin came to visit I told him straight away. Confirming what Armin had clearly told him.
He asked how I was, and I was ready to take her on. Despite my injuries.
He told me that I would be able to go into the inner city but I wasn't to fight. I was to sit in a carriage with someone else and pretend that we were going to the MPs.  I didn't like that. So I negotiated, if I could stand, I would stand on the wall. Keeping a look out in case she ran. If she ran I would strike from the wall. The one place she didn't expect me to be.

A couple of days later I stood, much to Erwin's dismay. Whatever ability I had I thanked, I was still injured but I could at least stand. If it meant hurting myself a little more to cut her down I would, but I was sure that Erwin wouldn't like that.
I had barely seen Levi, though I knew he too was working behind the scenes to help with this mission to capture Annie.
Has she been there the day Eren first transformed? I couldn't remember but I was sure she was.
She had been with Reiner and Bertholdt, the memories came rushing back. She had been there when Marco had died, that very day. Had she been involved in his death? If she had I would avenge him for Jeans sake.

Jean had popped in and seemed happy to see I was awake and alive and so had Connie and Sasha when they had visited, I hadn't seen Reiner or Bertholdt but I wasn't surprised. I was leaning towards that they knew about Annie and were deliberately choosing not to be involved.

The day came. Eren too was able to walk as well as I did so Erwin had no choice. He had to involve us both. Eren would go with Mikasa and Armin and bait Annie. I kept my word, I would remain on the wall and cut her off if she tried to get over the wall.

It was quiet at the wall.
Not much happened until we saw the thunderstrike in the middle of the inner city, so she had transformed, soon the top of her head could be seen. I hoped Eren was alright until I saw a second thunderstrike and then his Titan form chasing Annie. I was so ready. Swords were out ready to cut her off the wall. Eren was busy beating the shit out of her. Each time she beat him off and moved closer to the wall.

I realised, I had this ability too. Could I stop her before she even climbed the wall?
I was going to give it my best shot.
"Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world, she took the midnight train going anywhere. Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit he took the midnight train going anywhere!" I sang loud. "A singer in a smoky room, smell of wine and cheap perfume, for a smile they can share the night going on and on and on and on!"
I kept going, she slowed. "Strangers waiting, up and down the boulevard their shadows searching in the night. Streetlights, people. Living just to find emotion, hiding somewhere in the night!" She slowed further but I could see she was fighting it.
Eren managed to get her down, somewhat sluggishly. That was the only downside. It affects him too.
I took a deep breath and aimed it at Annie. "Working hard to get my fill, everybody wants the thrill, paying anything to roll the dice just one more time, some we win, some we lose, some are prone to sing the blues, and the movie never ends it goes on and on and on and on!"
She struggled to get to the wall and began climbing despite my efforts, so I flew down and sliced off her fingers. She fell and took a piece of the wall with her. I hung there, not really having the strength to go down or up, but what I saw in the wall made me forget that.