Chapter 4-from one hand to another

When the letters began arriving I knew I had gotten through to my brother.
The only question was how was he doing it? They would be searched and investigated. And then it hit me.
That young boy Falco. He reminded me so much of Eren when he was younger, perhaps Eren saw this too? Or was he just using him?
The tea leaves floated from my hand to the floor as a vision overcame me. These were coming on hard and fast these days, since touching the queens hands.
My hands shook, I knew my eyes were wide and mouth was open in a silent scream.
"Love?" Came Levis voice as though through a fog. I couldn't move or answer him. He just put his arms around my waist and waited for me to come back. When I did I breathed heavily.
"Another one?" He asked. He thought they were panic attacks. I couldn't share these with him. He would put me under lock and key for the rest of my life. So I just nodded.
I hated keeping these from him but I couldn't share with him.

The next day, Levi begrudgingly let me leave the house, I was going to speak to Eren. To see if he had seen what I had. That was something that couldn't be in a letter.
When I reached the hospital Eren was sitting beside an elderly man, wearing a red armband.
An honours Marleyan huh? I took a small step forward when Eren's gaze fell on me and he shook his head once. I stopped. What did he mean? Was it too dangerous for me to be there now?
Instead my gaze went to the man. His eyes was filled with sadness and pain. I felt my shoulders fall. That was Eren's paternal grandfather. His fathers father.
When the man began to yell I was about to run over but again a gaze from Eren pierced me. He was unfeeling and emotionless again. The doctors and nurses came to take the old man away. I watched Eren roll his eyes. I couldn't blame him. After all- his grandfather hadn't stopped to save his own son from being taken to our home and almost killed. He had shown me these memories.
I shook my head sadly, and that's when I noticed the traitor. He was walking towards the hospital, he looked a lot older and I was glad I had a disguise or he would have recognised me. I nodded my head at him and turned away, watching young Falco ahead of me. He held another letter in his hands.
"Falco!" I called walking quickly to walk with him. He stopped and gave me a beaming smile.
"Miss! Mr Kruger gave me another letter to deliver." He said in exuberance when I neared him.
"It's very kind of you to deliver his letters." I said, "might I walk that way with you?"
He nodded. As we walked I asked. "How's your warrior training going?"
He smiled brightly. "Yesterday I beat Gabi in a race!"
I smiled at him. "That's good, so you're beating her then?"
His face fell a little. "No, I'm still way behind her but it felt good to win one thing."
"Well keep at it." I encouraged. "We all take a while to discover our passions."
He nodded. "Miss I never caught your name?"
"Miss Berger." I replied. That was my fake name. "My brother and I work together."
He nodded and then I realised had I given too much away but he then smiled. "Your very pretty Miss Berger."
I laughed. "Why thank you." I said giving him a little curtsey as he posted the letter that I would be seeing soon. "Such a compliment from a kind young warrior."
He blushed. "Um."
"Don't worry." I said smiling. "I can see another young lady holds your heart. My heart also belongs to another." He smiled.
"Now I had better get home." He then turned. "The festival is tomorrow, will you be attending?"
"Of course. I wouldn't miss it for the world." I said smiling as the young man ran off.
I chuckled and made my way home.

On entering the house, I paused. New yet familiar voices came from the kitchen and so I walked in.
Hanje and Armin sat there, and a solemn Mikasa.
I sighed and removed my wig. Shook the hair from underneath so they could see who they were talking to.
"Layla!" Hanje smiles grinning leaping from her chair and pulling me into a hug. "So this is where you've been hiding?"
"You stationed me here commander." I said through her tight hug.
"Oh yes I remember now." She said relinquishing me.
Then it was Armins turn. He looked different.
"Hey Armin." I said quietly and opened my arms. "Come on you."
He jumped to the hug as if it was his only reason for living. "You look different." I added. Ruffling the hair on his head. "Shorter huh? I like it." He moved away a small smile on his face.
I knew he hated what he has become, so had we all.
I turned to Mikasa and said. "He's alright. Just not himself." She nodded.

We spoke long into the night.
It was going to happen at the festival.
That's all we knew from Erens letters.
We had also found information too. The Tyburs- the eldians who had the war hammer Titan were in town. Lord Tybur would be announcing something at the festival, what we weren't sure of. But we had to be ready.

Dressed in black we waited. I had my gear and outfit under the dress I had to wear for show. Jean and I would be walking around, his gear was stashed with the others. The dress I wore thankfully hid it all. It muffled the sounds of the metal too.

The festival was busy. Busy with people buying food. I indulged myself once. And that's when I saw Reiner. He was having his pockets taken- Falco and other little warrior trainees alongside two others wearing a red armband.
The arena- where everyone would gather.
Trying to move around that in the dark, we had moved out of the light and into the shadows. I removed the dress and was ready- a scarf over my face and a hood of green over my hair.

We were ready.
When Falco took Reiner to the place we watched and waited.
Tybur was giving his speech but my eyes kept flicking to the old abandoned house behind him.
Once I felt Levi grab my hand and squeezed reassuringly.
We would get through this. All of us.