Chapter 22-rescue and new abilities

They really had travelled far in such a short space of time. But then it had to be easier for Reiner in such a large form. Strides he covered in a manner of minutes we covered in hours.
Half of me wondered whether we would make it in time or whether we would lose Eren for ever.
I started to lose hope.
And no matter how much I begged and cajoled, pleaded and negotiated, Levi refused to place chains on me.
Even when I told him I was a monster, a monster that could eat people.
He was like stone. Unmovable, unchangeable.
After while the pleas fell on deaf ears. And I sat in silence.
Everyone around me were gasping and panting determined to find Eren, and bring him home.

Once he was home I would put myself in goddamn chains if they wouldn't or sign myself over to the MPs. I didn't trust myself around my family and friends.
"Stop it." I heard Levi's chest rumble.
"Stop what sir?" I said glumly.
"Stop thinking of what your going to do when we get Yeager back." He replied, we were near now. He reached behind and one of his arms disappeared for a second, how easy would it be to throw myself from the horse?
"Don't even think about it." He added as he shot a green tub of smoke into the air. It was all about the plan.
Alert the enemy, have a small party cut around at a distance and come at them from two sides.
Levi and I led the first side party.
Hopefully they would be too busy watching where the main scouts were and not where single parties would be coming from.

Approaching the trees we had to abandon the horses a little further away, and walked the rest. For fear the horses hooves would give us away before alighting into the trees.
To Levi's dismay I walked slowly and near the back. Still ashamed and guilty.

No one talked to me.

I was the loneliest I had ever been.

Entering the trees, I saw Levi motion for me to join him. So I did somewhat slower than he wanted.
"Listen Drake." He said in a whisper. "Stop this. Right now."
"I don't know what you mean sir" I said lying.
He just fixed me with a glare.
"Feeling sorry for yourself and planning to hand yourself over."
"I-"
"Don't deny it. How do you think Yeager will feel to see his sister locked away and tortured by the MPs?" He added.
When Eren found out he would hate me. He would second I be locked up.
"Sir." I just said.
He looked at me with such a piercing glare.
"Get into position Drake, that's an order." Levi said alighting from the tree.
With a sigh I zipped from the tree. It was hard to become angry, but I sliced my hand. Bright light not easily distinguishable by the sunlight, overwhelmed me and I transformed.
Back in that Titan body that I despised.
I walked until I was out of sight, hidden by the trees, pretence to being inactive. I would wait until Reiner or Bertholdt showed.
It gave me more time to stew, the question was would Erwin, Hanje or Levi even let me hand myself over?
Probably not. I sighed with sadness.
If they wouldn't chain me and wouldn't hand me over what was the point?
Thunderstrike.

Footsteps. This time I heard yelling. And gas being released.
I moved a bit more alert.
I had to follow the plan.
It was lucky I was coherent, which Hanje found amazing. I could feel my human side.
When the armoured Titan appeared I pretended to be a mindless. Lumbering towards them without intent. And when they went to veer around me, I reached out and punched Reiners jaw.
It stunned him and caused steam to issue from my hand, I moved quickly using his being stunned to my advantage, I tripped him up. Then pinned him to the floor.
He grunted at me and I could feel Bertholdt stabbing me in the hand and leg but wouldn't yield. Instead I reached down and tore open Reiners jaw, grabbing Eren and Ymir.
Bertholdt screamed in defiance and I yelled at him as a Titan.
Jumping up and sprinting, I ran, Eren and Ymir going into my mouth for safe keeping incase Reiner charged for me.
I felt Eren pushing against my mouth. And then Ymir.
Vaguely hear Eren saying Annie? What?
Did I honestly look like Annie? Did he not remember she was encased in crystal. Tears began to fall in huge puddle sized drops from my eyes, briefly I looked back and saw the armoured Titan without a look back at me running for the walls. Then it stopped and ran back. Heading straight for me. If I could reach the Scouts in time...I could release Eren and Ymir and fight.
I put in a burst of speed and silently apologised to the two in my mouth. When I saw a green cape I slowed quickly to a crouch and pushed them out of my mouth with my tongue, before standing from my crouch and running to meet Reiner head on.

With Eren and Ymir.

"Armin?" Eren said to the figure who rushed to hug him.
"Where's Historia?" Ymir asked. Armin smiled.
"Back with the troops Ymir." He turned to Eren, sadness filling his eyes. "Eren, so glad to see you."
"How's Layla?" Eren asked and then panicked at Armins look. "What happened? Is she ok?"
"She's fine, She's-"
Crash!
They watched the new female titan and the armoured Titan meet, the female going straight into a backflip over the other Titans head, grabbing the head and yanking it as she went.
"Whoa." Ymir and Eren said in unison. "Who's that?"
Admin didn't speak so they turned to him.
"Armin, who is that?" Eren asked again.
"Don't you recognise her?" Was all Armin said.
The sun hit the female titans head as she swerved away from a armoured hand, showing reddish gold.
Eren gasped in pain. "No, no it can't be!"
"Sweet! She's one too!" Ymir whooped. "She's awesome."
"No, Armin tell me that isn't her." Eren pleaded. Armin felt sorry for his friend but he nodded.
"That's Layla." He said. "She turned after you both were taken."
"No." Eren turned back to the fight.
"She needs help." Ymir said, a new light in her eyes. "I'll go."
"No, Historia is waiting for you."
"I need to do this. Layla saved me. I owe her one." Ymir said slicing her hand using Armins sword and transformed.

With Layla.

I feinted after that backflip. If I could lead them away from Eren, I would die happy.
"Grrooooowol." I yelled to the sky.
Hopefully that meant mindless titans would hear me and come to aid me.
A shock wave sent out, knocking Reiner off his feet. Bertholdts small face mouthed something and I went to punch him and Reiner again.
Traitors.
Vengeance.
That's all I thought about.
Kill.
Then Ymir joined but to my surprise grabbed Reiner and pulled him into a run. Away.
I lowered my hands. She was going with them? Had she betrayed us?
Mindless titans appeared and I roared. They turned away from the feast in front of them and went running after the trio.
I didn't feel bad for them.
I wished in a way that the mindless would come and eat me too.

With Eren.

Mikasa joined me and Armin as we watched Layla and then Ymir. I couldn't believe Ymir actually went with them!
Traitor.
Then my nightmare became real.
The Titan that rounded the corner- exempt from Layla's yell, saw us and came grinning towards us.
It was her!
She ate my mum!
I yelled too- punching the titans hand as it reached for me, causing it to recoil back. The mindless that had paused in chasing Reiner turned and ran towards the Titan that ate my mother. Because of my yell. And then began to eat her.

We could only watch as the vengeance for my mother was appeased. I hunched to the ground. Armin and Mikasa around me. I just wish Layla was here too.