Chapter 19- still alive?

I awoke very warm. Too warm. I blinking slightly opened my eyes, and found myself face to face with Ymir's titan form.
"Ymir?" I said weakly. "What?" Then I realised. Ymir had grabbed me as we fell, putting her underneath me and shielding me from the falling rocks and the sharp ones below.
"Ymir, come on." I moved slowly, body aching and sore, up the titan body pushing rocks as I went. "Come on, where are you?"
Then the nape came clear, I grabbed the broken sword and sliced her nape, slowly as to not cut her. "Ymir." I pulled her from the broken Titan shell. She was unconscious and steaming hot.
"Ymir. You did it. Christa is safe," those words made her eyes flutter.
"Safe?" She asked in nothing above a whisper.
"Yes safe." I added exhausted. "Thank you for saving my life."
"Eh, least I could do for our nightingale." She tried to laugh, but coughed instead.
"Come on." I stood gingerly and then cried out. I think my ankle is broken.
"Your ankle?" She whispered.
"Broken, I think." I said hoarsely back.

The sounds of scrabbling reached us.
"Death again." Ymir tried to joke. "Here come the Titans."
"Just don't joke at a time like this." I said wearily, standing on one leg, looking very much like a flamingo with my broken sword held out in front. I wanted to cough but restrained myself,
Bright torchlight met my sore and strained eyes and I flinched.
"She's alive!" A voice called.
A voice that sounded echoey to my ears. My ears were beginning to ring as arms helped me out of the hole. I winced and hissed as they dragged my ankle before laying me on a ground not filled with sharp rocks.
"Layla." My vision was swimming. "Stay with us."
"Let her go. We'll be able to set that leg." Came another.
"Where's Ymir?" Came a High pitched voice and at that I passed out again.

When I awoke. I was on a cart, I blinked as the cart jostled a little.
"She's awake."
"Eren?"
"Layla!" He went to hug me but stopped. "You gave us a horrible scare you know!"
"I know." I said quietly. "And I'm sorry."
"You don't need to apologise." Came an equally familiar voice. I moved my head a little.
"Captain Levi?" I asked. He nodded.
"Good your mind isn't affected. You don't need to apologise. That was some amazing work out there."
Another compliment. Was I dying again?
"Where are the others? Ymir, Christa, Reiner, Bertholdt and Jean?" I said struggling to sit up but a hand forced me back down.
"Following on horseback." Levi said, then added. "Close behind. So don't strain yourself."
I settled down. "Did you see?"
They all nodded.
"The monkey Titan?"
They nodded.
I closed my eyes, now I was awake I could feel the pain in my ankle.
"Your ankle is set by the way." Hanje added. "Didn't take too much, but it will hurt for a while."
"Pain doesn't bother me." I replied. "It's the not being able to move around with people pitying me that will bother me." They all laughed.

When we had been moved to the wall, Ymir and I via a pulley, I was able to look a myself in a sort of mirror, albeit with help. I was purple, black and blue. Cuts lined my cheeks and my arms.
"You ok?" Jean asked. He had pushed aside all others to help me. Said he owed me one.
"Yeah peachy." I smiled. "Thanks for helping."
"Couldn't let you struggle around without me." He joked.
But in seriousness he did help. Historia was pleading Ymir's case and I helped her. Telling Hanje and Levi that Ymir fought to save us and Christa- who's real name was Historia. Apparently after I had passed out she had told everyone as a promise to Ymir.
Standing on the wall overlooking the ruined tower, mainly like a flamingo, there had to be something that made my injuries vanish without the Titan steam, how else would I be healing so quickly?

Hanje was intrigued by what I had told her, that songs helped to enhance the ability to control without speaking.
I explained I hadn't said anything as it was too purely coincidental and Sawney and Bean had been killed before I could test the theory. She seemed placated, Levi never showed what he felt so he was a little tougher. They didn't need to know where they had come from or where I did, not now anyway.
Thank you famous singers-that they will never know of!

They wanted to put me to the test. And so we went to the wall- a wall we were prepared to see titans at.
I stood after being lifted up to the top of the wall and was told to sing.
"Calling all the monsters, calling all the monsters, calling all, calling all the monsters. Heart thumps and you jump, coming down with goosebumps, you dare to go imma imma get you so scared. Were wanting to, were haunting you, were wanting to, you stayed in to late to be getting afraid, this scenes extreme imma get you so so scared, we're wanting to, were haunting you, gonna get your body shaking wishing you could just awaken, tonight all the monsters gonna dance. Were coming a getcha. Tonight all the monsters gonna dance, were coming to getcha. If your only dreaming, why I hear you screaming? Tonight all the monsters gonna dance, were coming to getcha. Calling all the monsters, calling all the monsters, calling all, calling all, calling all the monsters."

It worked.

It wasn't to be made common knowledge yet.

Hanje hypothesised that there must be something in my DNA that meant I was able to have this ability and she took vials of blood to test. As I had once said to Erwin I would do anything- it meant that I trusted them and they would then trust me.
The knowledge that the people in Connies village had been turned to titans I kept to myself however, if they knew, it would cause chaos. Uproars and riots, neighbour would turn on neighbour.