9 - Your First Legal Drink

Astrid and Delilah were up much earlier than usual – both buzzing about the first Hogsmeade trip of the year.

"So, what are we going to do first?" Astrid asked, as they walked to the village.

"Well, first I'm going to take you to buy your birthday present, and then we're going to go to Honeydukes and buy as many sweets we possibly can – you know, ones we can make a game out of, and then we're going to go to the leaky cauldron where you will have your first legal drink." Delilah said, pretty proud of herself.

"Sounds like a plan," Astrid replied, grinning.

Their first stop was to Tomes and Scrolls, Hogsmeade's local bookshop.

"Now, the reason I couldn't just wrap the present up is because it's only sold here! They don't even make them at Flourish and Blotts." Delilah explained.

"Well what is it?"

"Come on!" Delilah took Astrid's hand, and brought her over to what seemed like a very normal bookshelf.

Delilah could see the confusion in Astrid's face. "Don't look like that!" she said. "This bookshelf is much more than it appears – it's magic!"

"I'd gathered that." Astrid said, sarcastically.

"Well, this bookshelf has a special kind of magic, you see it has two layers, yes?" Delilah began, and Astrid nodded. "Books will appear on this top shelf that you want to read, or that it recommends to you! Once you've finished the book, you put it on the bottom shelf and it disappears – it's a portable library!"

Astrid was in awe. "You're kidding – that's so cool!"

"I am not kidding. However, since it is a library, if you don't finish the book in three weeks it will just disappear."

Astrid laughed. "Can I take the book out again?"

"Yes, all you need to do to rent a book again is just point your wand at the top shelf and say the name of the book."

"Brilliant." Astrid said to herself. She bent down and ran her fingers along the wood of the bookshelf. "How are we going to carry this back to Hogwarts?"

"Don't worry, they have a special delivery service, we can ask to deliver it to Hogwarts and it'll be in our dorm when we get back!" Delilah said, very chuffed. "Also although this is yours, and you can take it home at the end of the year – I hope you know all four of us in the dorm will be borrowing it."

Astrid was utterly thrilled, so much she could barely say anything.

"Let's buy it!" Delilah grabbed Astrid and ran towards the counter.

"One Library Bookshelf please." Delilah said to the man behind the till.

"Where would you like it delivered?" he asked.

"Girls dorm, sixth year, Ravenclaw common room at Hogwarts." Delilah said, making sure not to send it to the wrong people. She handed over the galleons, and Astrid watched as the man waved his wand and the bookshelf vanished, knowing it would be in her room when she got back.

"Thank you very much!" Delilah said, and they left the shop.

The two walked along Hogsmeade High Street for a little bit, before reaching Honeydukes Sweet Shop. "Part two – in we go!" Delilah said, pushing Astrid through the door.

Honeydukes was packed. It reminded Astrid of their trip to Diagon Alley, back in August. There were children everywhere – mostly excited third years, for whom it was their first ever Hogsmeade trip. Astrid worried the Leaky Cauldron would look much the same.