39 - Bad Endings and New Beginnings

Maddie was standing in the corridor, facing Astrid, her face so red she looked ready to explode. Astrid was feeling quite terrified. James was mostly confused by the situation.

The three of them stood in a sort of stalemate for a few moments, no one quite knowing what to say. The anger slowly faded out of Maddie's face, and Astrid started to laugh.

"What is so funny?" Maddie asked, in an accusatory tone.

"It's just..." Astrid began, still laughing. "Just you thinking that he's yours."

Maddie and James both appeared quite baffled.

"W-Well he is mine." She stammered. "He's my boyfriend."

Astrid laughed louder.

"Astrid," James whispered. "Shut up."

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Astrid wheezed. "It's just I haven't seen very much of your relationship, but it appears to be mostly you chasing after James while he's trying to run away. I'd hardly call him 'yours'."

Maddie looked ready to argue, but she stopped herself as she reviewed the last few months of her relationship with James over in her head.

"I'd like you to leave." She said darkly.

"What?" Astrid asked, taken aback by the sudden change of tone.

"I would like a minute alone with my boyfriend, please." Maddie reiterated. "If you would kindly leave."

Astrid felt slightly irritated. She wanted to see how this was going to play out, but she obliged and left nonetheless.

Maddie took a step closer to James, her head tilting downwards, refusing to make eye contact with him. "James, why did you ask me out in the first place?"

James froze. He had no idea what to say. His relationship with Maddie had been quite rocky from the start, but even more so after he ditched their date to hang out with Delilah. He knew that Maddie was very insecure about Delilah, and what he needed to say next would only make things worse.

"James. Answer the question please. I can take it." Maddie said, finally looking at him. James noticed there were tears in her eyes.

"Well, I knew you liked me, and I quite fancied the idea of having a girlfriend so- so I asked you out." James said. It was a half-truth, but it felt easier to break the news slowly.

Maddie took in a deep breath. "So it was nothing to do with Delilah?"

James didn't answer. Maddie took that silence to mean 'yes'.

"Do you like her James?"

He looked up at Maddie, his eyes filled with guilt. "I- I did. I don't know if I still do. She's a friend, and I wouldn't dare do anything while we're still..." James cut himself off.

"While we're still what, James?" Maddie asked. "Together? I barely even see you anymore! We're hardly together."

James tried to talk but Maddie wouldn't let him.

"Astrid just said it herself! Our relationship is an endless cycle of me chasing you while you run away from me. You know what? I'm not sure I want to be 'together' anymore, if that's even what we are. Goodbye James." Maddie said, and she turned around and walked off.

James knew he should have felt upset, but he couldn't help feeling relieved, and a little bit guilty. He knew he should have broken up with Maddie ages ago, but it was done now. She was gone.

***

Astrid entered the Ravenclaw common room to find Delilah stewing in an armchair.

"Hey." She said, awkwardly.