"Mavis." I smile.

"Ah," She sighs. "Mavis, my apologies." She smiles. "The song thrush. Was a lovely bird."

The door springs open, floor thirteen. My father begins shuffling to the door. I begin to follow him.

"Do you mind," I stop dead in my tracks. "if I have a chat with you Mavis, in my office?" She smiles. I look back towards my dad. I can't say no. He smiles, and removes his leg from the elevator, letting the doors slide shut.

"I won't keep you for long, don't worry." She smiles, pressing floor twenty-four. There is no button for twenty-five.

"I'm sure it's no problem." I smile back at her. Did I say that correctly? What do I call her? Veronica? Miss Blanchard? Madame? Your Majesty?

The doors slide open to her office. I thought any view would be spectacular but this view, looking from the elevator, towards the Old City, is the most beautiful. The sun is setting, casting shadows, and glistening the city with golden light. I take a step towards the scene before me, and I look below me.

More glass.

Veronica comes strutting out.

"Do you want a drink?" She asks, and I slowly nod my head. "Brilliant." She gleams, "take a seat on the sofas." I look towards the left and find two gleaming white sofas. My dress has never looked so grimy against the pristine white.

I keep finding myself looking back to the view. Wherever you look, there's the Old City, in its majestic stance.

A cup of tea is suddenly shoved in front of me.

"I'm sorry, I was just admiring the view." I say. She sits opposite me. I feel like I should copy her stance. Her posture is incredible. I can understand why so many people envy her, why she is so many young girls' aspiration and inspiration.

"No need to apologise. The city of Saxet is something to admire." She nods. Wrong city.

"Anyway, Miss Sterling, I just wanted to have a little chat with you, as we have caught you multiple times running in the gated off parts of the city." She says, and my heart drops. It sinks further than my stomach, and through all twenty-four floors. I swallow.

"Erm-err, I-I erm, I can explain- "

"No need." She dismisses with a wave. "I just want to know why?"

My eyes circle every part of her face, dodging her eyes. Forget the Capturer eyes, her icy eyes are what will kill me.

I scratch at my chest, just where my throat meets my chest.

"I erm, I just. I just enjoy it." I say, my mouth is dry, so I sip the tea.

"It's completely understandable Miss Sterling, but as you aware is strictly forbidden. The reason why we have the rules such as the curfew and the gates, is for your safety. The generators cut out at approximately seven pm. And we don't want something bad," Her eyes find their way to mine and the ice hits my heart. "happening to you." She raises her teacup to her mouth, leaving a ruby red lipstick mark.

"Right." I smile. "Won't happen again."

I want to leave. I am suddenly no longer comfortable in her presence.

She smiles, placing her tea on the table.

"That's not the only thing I want to talk to you about." She edges closer to me, almost falling off the sofa. "You know about the Resistance apprenticeships?"

"Yes?"

"I want you to apply for one. I think you'll be a perfect addition to the Resistance." She smiles, and my face drops.

There is no way I would be 'perfect' for the Resistance. I'm nothing like my father. She's doing this to keep an eye on me, anyone with a single brain cell would've figured that out.

"I don't think I would." I say. Her smile doesn't falter. "I don't agree with the Tests."

"You're not meant to know what happens in it." It's like her face is wax. Even now, still giving me an ice-cold grin.

"I don't. I just know that people die." I suddenly feel a little brave. I'm staring into her eyes. They're holding me in place but I'm holding her in place. Either one of us move and we're dead. It's almost as if we are equal.

She blinks.

She lost.

"People die for the greater good."

"People don't need to die for good."

"Oh, Mavis." She sighs, standing to her feet, her knees cracking. "I wish you could understand. Do you know about the Survivors?" Her heels clack across the floor. I can almost imagine them piercing the glass. She leans against a window. I can see her staring, at the Old City. Trying to find them.

"I am aware." I say, climbing to my feet.

"They're evil. We have to find them and eliminate them." She says. I join her at the window.

"But innocent people die. My sister died for your Tests." I say. A hand touches my shoulder and my hold body jerks. My skin covered by my think cotton dress, screams at me to remove of her hand.

Her hand is as cold as her heart.

"I understand." She sighs. "I have lost my fair share of family. But these Tests are what needs to be done, and with your insight in the Resistance, I think we could improve the Tests."

She's looking at me. I can feel it, but I don't stare back. I'm looking at the capturers scattered below us.

"How do you create the capturers?" I ask her.

"That is classified information." She says. "What do you say about my offer?"

I turn my head to look at her, putting every ounce of my heart into what I'm about to say. My brain is screaming 'NO'. But my heart is beating 'yes'.

"That is classified information." I repeat.

Her hand slips from my shoulder.

"I can open a lot of doors for you, Mavis." Her voice changes. Roughens. "But I can close even more."

"Is that a threat?" I ask.

"I suggest you finish your tea. You go down to your father. And you reconsider my offer." She instructs.

I down my tea.

I head to the elevator; I press number thirteen.

And as she smiles goodbye, I vow to never work for Veronica Blanchard, unless my soul depended on it.

I don't think the monsters are scattered in the Old City; I think they're standing right in front of me.