Flashing Lights

I barely noticed that we were taken down and out of the building. She was rushed inside the ambulance, and I was led inside after.

People were working everywhere around us. I didn't pay attention to any of it.

I see the doors close and the lights start to flash red then blue. We begin to move.

Flashes of blue.

****

Giggling.

The blue bonnets had just bloomed that week. It was a sunny Sunday after church, and she had begged her parents to stop on the side of the road.

The blue carpet was stretched for yards down both sides of the street. She kept pointing at them, talking about spring and her pressing book at home.

I just watch her; I watch her very move. She is so lovely, yes, stunning. The way her eyes crinkle when she smiles, and her piercing blue eyes glow with a shocking intensity.

She holds my hand so tightly. We run from the car and into the blue. Every thing is blue today. I pick her up, spin her around, and she laughs, throwing her head back, delighted.

***

Flashes of red.

***

Breathing.

The day when we spent the entire day on the boat.

She wore a red polka dot bikini. She still was the loveliest thing I had ever laid my eyes on.

We come back to my place, and she's about to leave in her red mustang.

She's in my arms, and her lips are an inch away from mine.

She has the sweetest, cherry lips I've ever seen.

***

The lights keep flashing, and I don't think they will ever stop.