Chapter Eighteen: I Saved You

Lillian's POV

I stopped instantly once I made my way down the stairs because in this very moment I was unsure of my next move. Was I to go straight to Aro and confront him, or go to Marcus and confess what I did, in hopes that I can change his fate before Aro would come to him? As much as my anger was pulling me to my soulmate, I knew that if I went to Aro first he would kill Marcus in an instant, and I was not going to let that happen at any circumstances.

I looked down the empty hallway before making my way to Marcus' chambers. There was not a scenario where he would take this lightly, but I knew that if it came down to it I would be forced to compel him like I did to Athenadora and Corin, and I would rather do that then lose him. I still however had not resentment towards Marcus', I mean besides the fact that he was going to kill the man I loved, but how could I? Aro killed his own sister and for what? Power. She was right about that and I could not deny it, he was power hungry, and what is to say I got in the way of that, would I be next?

I needed to save both of them, no matter the cost, and I knew Aro would be the hardest to convince since he doesnt take betrayal lightly, but in all honestly, if he doesnt forgive Marcus', he is a hypocrite. Marcus was in the wrong, but I also know that I would seek revenge over someone who killed my loved one, and in that sense, I understood.

I reached his door, knocking twice lightly, entering his familiar room. Marcus was sat in his desk like the last time I saw him, but this time he greeted me with a smile and a warm welcome, and that only made me feel more guilt over the news I was about to give.

"I am glad you decided to come back, Lilly. I was worried how you would take what I told you, however, I am only guessing you have questions?" he asked, motioning for me to take a seat.

I shook my head to his words because I did not have questions about what he told me. I knew from the moment he told me it was nothing but the truth, he would never lie to me and I loved him for that -- but.

"No questions," he said leaning against his desk, moving himself closer to me, "then?" he asked watching my face intently.

Marcus was gentle, he was caring and above all he was kind. Yet, I knew that I overstepped, and I chose to not only take his information, but I chose to end any means that would hurt Aro. All the kind gestures he has shown me, I was sure was about to end, and I was not ready to lose the only friend I had made here. I actually had no intention of losing anyone today, whether it be Marcus, Aro, and even Caius.

"I went to the garden to think of every single thing you told me," I said looking back up to his face," and when I was out there, I saw the tower, and I made the decision to pay them a visit because I deserved to know the whole truth, and not bits and pieces of it, like what you and Aro would tell me,"

Marcus pushed himself off of his desk, still managing to keep his eyes on me the whole time as if in that one second I became the bad guy. His body language was the first to change, and I knew that whoever this was, it was not my friend.

"Dont lie to me," he spewed out.

"Im not-"

"You went to the tower to talk to Sulpicia to know if what she and Aro had was love. I am many things Lillian, but I knew from the moment I told you he had a wife, that your pretty little mind would be flooding with questions only she could answer" he said, sitting back down in his chair.

"Well, I got what I needed," I finished not wanting to push him over the edge before I could try to talk some sense into him.

His eyebrows lifted to my words, before he sat back in his chair not saying a single word to me. His eyes continued to try and read me, but I tried my hardest to keep my expression plain, as if I was not hiding anything, but even I knew that my facial expression were not going to fool him, he is the one person who knew me better than my own soulmate.