Chapter Five: Survivors' Guilt

Lillian's POV

I woke up with the feeling of emptiness. The room was empty and I was alone in my thoughts, yet the first thought that came to my head was not of my father but of Aro. I knew I could feel our bond and everything that came with it, only now was I thinking that maybe fighting it would only delay it. Was fighting it even worth it at this point?

I stood to my feet, dressing in a dress that Alice had gifted me on my birthday the year before. I did my usual routine, knowing that last night was going to be on my mind for the rest of the day. His words, his gentleness, but most of all the safety I felt in his arms. I huffed, throwing my hair back before departing out the room hopefully to the garden to engulf in the sun for however long.

"Going somewhere, my dear," I heard a voice say behind me.

I turned watching as Aro stood down the hallway making his way to our room. I lightly smiled and shook my head, forgetting about the garden completely.

"No," I said, as he held out his arm for me to hook around, "Not anymore,"

He chuckled at my comment, walking me in the complete opposite direction from the radiating sun. Yet, what could I expect since I knew he could not be near the sun in daylight.

"I promised change between us," he stated, taking me into the elevator being pressed the top button," Today is when I hope to start that change,"

I looked at him as he stared down at me with a smile. I nodded my head, pulling closer to him, now thinking that the dress was a bad idea, not to mention how cold he was as well. The elevator dinged as we continued to walk out into what seemed like a museum. Carlisle had few paintings in his house to detail his life, but this floor was just paintings of the Volturi, and even some before their life together.

I unhooked my arm from Aro, taking in the room in front of me. The room was as elegant as the throne room with red furniture to compliment the white marble walls. I continued to walk forward catching Caius and his life with who I can only guess to be his wife. I rolled my eyes continuing on before stopping on a painting of Marcus with a woman by his side whose beauty took my breath away. This was Aro's sister.

"Didyme," Aro said putting his hand on the bottom of my back, watching my face as if I was going to push him away like last time.

"She is beautiful," I said in a whisper, "You both resemble each other," I said turning to look at his face.

He stared at her with sadness in his eyes, and also with a face of regret. I dared not to push him since I knew it was something I would not want to pushed as well.

"It's okay to miss her, Aro. Just remember her when she was happy, that's what I do when I miss my dad," I said, reaching out lightly stroking his face.

I could tell that he was in a trance while looking at the painting of his sister because as soon as I touched him, he lightly flinched before taking my hand in his.

"Didyme and Marcus wanted to leave us so they could live a life with each other, and as much as it angered me, I also envied them. Their love was passionate, unconditional, and I yearned for it," he said as I continued to walk with to other paintings," It seems that even though my sister had a gift of happiness, she however, was not. Marcus said he found her on fire in there chambers, something that has continued to haunt him for centuries,"

I took a deep breath trying to process the immense pain he must have felt, and not to mention Marcus who was in love with her. It just seemed odd to me, how could she be in love while also planning to leave to spend forever with Marcus, and then suddenly she decides to kill herself. It didn't seem to add up to me, but I pushed the thought to the back of my head, as Aro stopped at a painting that took up very little on the wall.