Chapter Nine: I Was Dying

Start from the beginning

"She is not lying young Pendragon." Those words from the Great Dragon immediately caught Arthur's attention, making him snap around to look up at the grand beast. "Merlyn was fighting off a Serket's poison after being chained in the woods by Morgause." Merlyn looked over her shoulder and frowned at Kilgharrah. Arthur had not needed to know that. Though Kilgharrah's pointed gaze at Merlyn told her, he was ensuring she told Arthur the truth.

"What? Is she all right?" Arthur asked, locking his gaze with Kilgharrah's despite Merlyn turning to look at him.

"You could just ask me I'm right here" Merlyn commented but her words were lost on the prince who knew Merlyn would have sugar coated it.

"She has healed, my young king" Kilgharrah answered before he bowed his head in respect to the couple. "Till next time." With nothing more to say, the pair watched as Kilgharrah shot of into the sky with this powerful wings beating the air around him.

Silence reigned for a moment as Arthur continued to stare at the spot Kilgharrah had once stood in.

"Arthur?" Merlyn tried, her voice soft and concerned.

"You nearly died again..." The words were quietly spoken but they hit home. Merlyn could see the grief that was running over Arthur's face. Stepping around him she ran her hands down his arms until her hands linked with his.

"I'm not dead. It's going to take more than Serkets" Merlyn said keeping her voice soft. However, Arthur was still very quiet and wouldn't lift his gaze. Lifting one of their paired hands, Merlyn placed Arthur's hand upon her chest above her heart. "See? I'm still breathing. Heart's still beating."

Arthur frowned as his face collapsed into a grimace of utter pain. To know he had been close to losing her along with everything else was just too much in that moment.

"I love you" he said as he finally opened his eyes and looked at her.

"And I love you." The couple moved slowly to meet one another's lips in a tender kiss. A kiss of relief. Their lips softly parted before they stood resting their foreheads against one another. Time just seemed to stand still for just a moment, the world fell away as they appreciated the other's presence.

"We should get back" Arthur finally spoke pulling away, turning his hand around to link his fingers with Merlyn and begin to guide her back to Brutus who stood patiently waiting. "Others are dying to find you."

"Why? I was gone like a night," At her words Arthur stopped and swung around to look at her.

"Merlyn ... you've been gone for three days. Missing without a trace!" Merlyn's face paled at his words. That just couldn't be possible.

"Three days?!" Merlyn snapped. Her head began to race as she thought back to Morgana and Morgause's plan. She was three days behind! Oh this was bad, very bad!

"We have to get back to Camelot."

~8~

It was not long before Arthur had gotten onto the back of Brutus and then helped Merlyn up behind him. Naturally, Merlyn wrapped her arms around Arthur's waist and held onto him. With silent words between the couple, Arthur knew to race to Camelot. With a nudge, Brutus listened and soon began making his way back to Camelot his hooves swiftly picking up speed and carrying the couple quickly on his back.

As they charged through the forest Merlyn knew she had to give Arthur some explanation as to the quick return to Camelot.

"I know how to help your father" Merlyn shouted as the wind pushed against them with how fast Brutus was running.

"Wh-How?"

"Your father is being enchanted by mandrake root. Mandrake root pierces the soul of the body and brings around images of fear and dread, essentially it makes you go mad" she explained lifting her head closer to his ear so that he could hear.

"So my father had been enchanted using mandrake root. By who?" Arthur shouted back, unsurprised that the cause was magic. It seemed magic just kept hitting Camelot, Arthur feared why it was becoming more and more common.

"You wouldn't believe me" Merlyn muttered as she slumped against Arthur's back. How could she tell him it was Morgana? However, her instinctual reaction to not tell him aggravated Arthur.

"Merlyn, for once will you just trust me, trust that I will back you" Arthur said with a touch of anger and frustration in his voice. Merlyn sat up straight at the tone. He sounded tired. But truth was Merlyn often didn't tell Arthur the truth when she should have. Sighing, Merlyn knew she couldn't keep this from him - especially after what happened last time with Morgana. He needed to know.

"The other night I found out about the mandrake root and I followed the culprit as they left the castle. They entered the woods west of the castle where they met Morgause" Merlyn began. She had to give her evidence before she told him who it was. "Morgause is one of two behind all of this. The pair discussed Uther and him going mad, they also discussed Cenred and his army. Yes army. Cenred has an army that rides on Morgause's word. They plan to take the castle whilst the king is mad."

"Who?" Arthur interrupted as Merlyn bombarded him with information. However, Merlyn hadn't finished yet.

"Frank, the sentry who was murdered, told me it was the same person who stabbed him that night. He named her I didn't, I pushed for an answer but gave no options, he was the one to bring her up."

"Who, Merl-"

"And when news of Cenred's army comes, as it will, and when you are fighting a battle, as you will be, then you can know I'm speaking the truth ... especially if something magical happens that gives Cenred an advantage"

"Merlyn!" Arthur finally snapped. Merlyn fell silent and rested her forehead against Arthur's back for a moment. She didn't really know how this was going. For a moment Merlyn tightened her grip on Arthur before she took a deep breath and lifted her head once more. Her hair raced out behind her as the wind caught it leaving her voice free to reach Arthur's ear.

"Morgana is in league with Morgause" she said leading to utter silence except for Brutus' hooves slamming against the forest floor. At Arthur's silence, Merlyn decided to say just a little more which she hoped Arthur would listen to over flip out of over; Arthur however was taking in all the words and situation with great apprehension, disbelief and yet understanding. "They are sisters, have the same mother. Morgana does not mean us anything but harm now.  She was the one I followed. She was the one who Frank named." Arthur continued to stay silent as his mind raced, Merlyn knew that there was little left to say and that pushing it would only cause Arthur to snap. So she left him with one last phrase of wisdom. "You can believe it or not that is up to you, it does not change the fact it is the truth."