Chapter Nine: I Was Dying

En başından başla

It was beautiful.

Merlyn felt so at peace and yet full of excitement riding on the back of Kilgharrah's head. This magnificent beast got to see the best views. The expanse of the world beneath them, delicate lights of life just a wingbeat away. It was so humbling. People were dots in a much large picture.

Merlyn loved the feeling of the wind rushing through her tangled hair, enjoyed the breeze upon her cheeks and couldn't help but cheer as they flew.

As they drew near Camelot, the castle standing tall amongst the forest, Merlyn quietened down and fell silent whilst Kilgharrah landed in the same spot that Merlyn had become a Dragonlord on.

"This is as far as I go" Kilgharrah said which Merlyn perfectly understood. Nodding (even though he dragon couldn't see), Merlyn shifted so she could slide off of Kilgharrah's head which he had lowered to the floor.

"Thank you, I won't forget this" Merlyn said as she landed on the grass with a light thump and turned to face her kin. Kilgharrah nodded in respect whilst trying to hide a small smirk - he loved hearing the joy Merlyn had as she was in the skies with him, getting to share a part of his life with Emrys was a proud moment. However the moment was shattered by the sounds of stomping hooves and a very familiar voice saying a very similar phrase - Merlyn swore he had perfected his ability to be as loud and annoying as possible.

"MERLYN!"

Merlyn had not expected that voice. Spinning around she found herself watching as Brutus charged towards her and was pulled to a halt a metre or so away before the rider threw himself off the back. Arthur had a look combining utter relief and anger as he closed the distance between himself and Merlyn. Merlyn had no time to say anything before she found herself in Arthur's tight embrace. Merlyn was not going to complain about the comfort but she was slightly concerned as to why there was relief on Arthur's face. What had she missed? What was going on?

"Arthur?" Merlyn asked gently as she returned his strong hug. At her voice, Arthur pulled back and Merlyn was looking into his blazing blue eyes.

"Where have you been?!" he snapped causing Merlyn to blink back in confusion. She had no idea what he meant? Hadn't she only been gone a night or day at most?

"I - what's with the attitude? I haven't been gone that long" Merlyn replied as Arthur glared at her whilst his hands kept a hold of her upper arms, ensuring she was facing him and wouldn't run away.

"Without my permission" Arthur snapped back, turning his grief and worry into anger. Seeing he was so worked up, Merlyn tilted her head and frantically asked

"What if I was dying?"

"I wouldn't be complaining" Arthur spat back, believing she was lying. With a quick glance over her body to see if there was in fact any injuries, Arthur locked eyes with her once again before he let go of her and crossed his arms over his chest. "But you're not. So where've you been?"

"I was dying" Merlyn retorted back. However, at her words that held truth Arthur stopped still for a moment, silence reigning. Merlyn could see the worry deep in his eyes, the concern and weariness he was concealing. Maybe she shouldn't have tried to make light of the situation.

Arthur narrowed his eyes in annoyance at the reply - he wasn't entirely sure if Merlyn was joking or not.

"That's not funny" he said with no humour, not even particularly loudly. There was a vulnerability to his voice, his words, his stance.