First Day In The Games

After glimmer received her gift, Cato found a tent and we set it up, putting all of our sleeping bags and blankets in it as well as the container that held some food. We gathered anything else of importance and filled our packs for tonight's hunt then had a quick meal. As the sun began to set, we headed into the woods for the first time. I didn't grow up around woods of any kind so all of this is new to me, if I wasn't a career I don't think I'd last very long in this environment. The first thing we did was find the lake to fill up out water bottles, finished them then filled them again before a branch snapped behind us. As I stood and turned, I loaded an arrow into my bow and aimed it at the figure in the dark. "don't shoot, don't shoot." the distinct voice of Peeta Mellark begged as he approached us with his hands raised in defence. I briefly glanced to my left to find Cato's sword held strong so I did the same. "what do you want loverboy," Cato asked lowly, taking a step towards him. "yeah and tell us why we shouldn't just kill you right now." Clove jumped in.

"I just want to help you guys, I've known Katniss for a very long time and I'll easily be able to help you." Cato, who seemed to be taking on the leadership role of the group looked to us, I shrugged indifferently. It doesn't matter to me, as long as one of us is always awake with him for watch he can't do anything, and besides if he tried anything, none of us would hesitate to kill him. Cato eventually said that he could help but if he tried anything he would be killed instantly, peeta agreed and we began to make our way into the forest. By now the sun had set almost completely and we had a new objective, find any fires. We walked for a few moments before the smell of burning wood hit me like a wall. I stopped in my tracks and looked around for a moment. "there." I whispered, pointing to a faint orange glow between 2 trees. We walked through the trees as quietly as we could and once we reached the clearing we spotted who it was, the girl from 9.

I felt a tingle of excitement go through me as I pulled my knife out of its holster and crept up behind her. Over her shoulder I could see her cooking a small animal, maybe a lizard of some kind, using her knife as a spit. Well if she does try to stab me it'll cauterize the wound in the process, but let's be honest, she'll be dead before she even thinks to use it. I crouched behind her and whispered, "whatcha cookin?" she jumped in fear and stumbled back, her hand briefly touching the fire in an attempt to stand. I felt a pang of guilt buried deep in my stomach as I watcher her face morph in pain, tears rushing down her face. "no, please don't kill me, please." something about the pain in her voice touched me and leaned in closely, "I'm going to make this quick, just don't move." I whispered before grabbing her lightly by the back of her head. "thank you." she mumbled as my eyes met hers. I nodded once then looked off into the forest behind her, without giving it a second thought I brought my knife up to her neck and slit her throat.

She fell to the ground and her cannon sounded almost immediately. I used the edge of her jacket to clean the blood off my knife before standing back up and walking towards the group. We made our way back through the Forrest in the opposite direction, all the while Glimmer was being her normal self, annoying. "no please don't kill me." she laughed, handing off Cato's arm as he chuckled along with her. I rolled my eyes before feeling Cloves arm wrap itself around my waist. "you ok Mis?" she asked, looking up at me as our walk slowed to fall behind the others. "yeah, I'm just starting to get hungry." I lied, I trust Clove more than anyone I've ever met but I don't think I could ever admit to her that killing made me feel guilty, she'd think of me as weak. "me too, I'm sure we won't be out here too long. Then when we get back we can have dinner and go to bed, ok?" she asked and I nodded along. She reached up slightly and gave me a kiss on the cheek before we continued walking behind the others.

"hey lover boy, you sure she went this way." Carl called over his shoulder and peeta, who'd been walking with marvel scurried over to him. "yeah, that was definitely her snare back there." he said and Cato nodded, letting us pass him and Glimmer. We began to trudge along behind him, he'd stopped talking to all of us completely so marvel fell back in line with us. "this is starting to get boring, we haven't found anyone in at least an hour. I think we should just go back and sleep for the night." we nodded wordlessly, and I turned to find where the rest of our group went. "where did they go?" I raised an eyebrow as I looked around. "no idea, we'll go look for them and meet you back at camp." marvel said to which Clove nodded before gently taking a hold of my hand and pulling me towards the tree line. We eventually slowed our walk as we made it to the edge of the clearing and as we walked towards camp, I started swinging out arms lightly. She swung them harder, making me laugh as we sat beside the fire who's embers continued to fizzle long after it'd been out out.

The laughter died down and I realized that we were alone for the first time since last night on the roof. I missed her lips, I missed feeling her against me; but what missed most of all was our privacy. I can't help but think about our parents watching at home, what they'd think of our relationship, but then again, both of us aren't going to make it out of here so we might as well live life while we can. I wrapped my hand around her jaw and pulled her face towards me, letting out lips meet in a forcefully kiss. My lips burned then went cold as I pulled away from her. Before I could speak she pulled me in for another, this one more slow but passionate than the first. This is the kind of kiss I'd become accustomed to with her, the kind that makes your heart swell and your stomach bubble, it makes you feel light headed when they're not around, like they're oxygen and you'd die without them.

"ok we're back, break it up you two." Marvel laughed as he took a seat beside me. The kiss must've gotten more heated than I anticipated because both of our jackets were off and we were laying in the grass. She sat up and adjusted her hair while I sat up on my elbows and flashed him the middle finger. We sat around and talked a bit more before we decided to go to bed while Marvel took first watch. I got into my sleeping bag and turned on my side to fall asleep. I tossed and turned for a while then as I began to doze off, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I looked over my shoulder to see a red faced Clove  kneeling beside me, "I can't sleep." she whispered and I immediately knew what she wanted. I shimmied to the side of my large sleeping bed and allowed her to climb in beside me. She smiled at me gratefully before giving me a kiss, we exchanged a 'goodnight' before I turned back on my side. Soon after I felt her arms wrap around my waist and my body relaxed into hers. It felt like we were back in the training center again, just the 2 of us, and the thought of that lulled me into a deep sleep.