The Feast Part 2

"for being the best thing that ever happened to me." her voice was barely a above a whisper now. Just then Catos voice boomed through the arena. "what happened?!" he yelled, making us both jump. "thresh..." I couldn't get more than that out before Cato disappeared into the cornucopia, returning a few seconds later with a long sword in hand and 2 smaller knives tucked into his belt loops. "which way did he go." he snarled, his eyes focused in on Cloves pale face. "the grain field." I said, only glancing up at him briefly, pointing in the direction then turning my attention back to my dying girlfriend. He pulled his sword out of its holster and stormed off in thresh's direction, leaving clove and I alone once more. "what happened?" I finally asked, I should've come with her, if I'd been waiting in the cornucopia or just outside the clearing this would've never happened; we'd be back in our cave right now, talking about life back in our districts while enjoying what's left of our sponsor gift.

"I ran out of the forest and Katniss was coming towards me with her pack so I threw a knife at her and it knocked her over." I grabbed her hand once more and held it close to me, "Misty..." she said, making me lift my head in her direction. "what is it my love?" I asked, once again feeling my tears start to flow, "I'm so tired." she whispered as a single tear rolled down her cheek. I squeezed my eyes together tightly, my tears were now flowing out of me uncomfortably, dripping down my neck and soaking the collar of my shirt. "I know my love. It's ok, you don't have to fight anymore. Go to sleep." my voice cracked. She head tipped back against the ground and her eyes struggled to stay open. "kiss me, please." she choked. After a moment of hesitation I nodded and leaned down, connection our lips for the last time. I knew she'd died before the cannon went off, her lips felt cold and distant against mine; like mine was the kiss of death and I'd sealed her fate.

I sat up slowly as the boom echoed in my ears. The tears streamed harder down my face now as I let out a gutteral scream, a scream filled with dread, misery, anger and above all, frustration. "why couldn't you have just listened to me! I said it was a bad idea to come to the feast and you insisted. Then again, you were always stubborn weren't you." my anger subsided as I looked down at her peaceful face. I shifted uncomfortably on my knees, not knowing what to do next. After a moment, i snapped back to reality and remembered that I'd brought berries with me in my pack. Knowing that at any moment she'd be taken away from me I moved quickly, crushing the berries in my hand and dabbling them onto her cheeks and lips like I'd done many times before. I moved her hair out of her face gently and adjusted her jacked, the feeling of the cold knives in her vest bringing me back to the moment. I slowly slipped it out of her sheath, holding it up to the sun and examining it.

I must've blacked out because when I came to, I was looking down at myself, now drenched in my own blood. I watched the blood from the deep vertical cuts on my forearms drip down my hands and land in a puddle on the unnaturally green grass. Everything moved in slow motion, the sound of the knife hitting the floor echoed loudly. I blinked slowly, still looking at my bloody hands when I heard Cato yell my name. I looked up at him running in my direction as the world began to spin. Before I could fall backwards, he caught me and pulled my head into his lap, I blinked up at him as tears collected in my eyes. "I don't know what to do." his voice was softer than usual but still firm. I chuckled lightly and smiled, "leave me with her." he nodded vigorously lifting my head off his lap and laying it on her chest. "thank you." he nodded before looking around for his pack and sword that he'd thrown while running, "and Cato." I whispered.

He looked down at me, a look of pity and discomfort in his eyes like he'd never felt all these emotions at once before and he didn't know how to deal with them. "yes Mis." "you have to win this, for me..." I trailed off, turning my head slightly to the left and looked up at her face. "for Clove." I finished and he sighed sadly. "I will." he said before running away, not looking back. As I looked up at the sun, the world around me began to haze and blend into one big blob and before I knew it, I couldn't differentiate between the trees and the sky. The pain in my wrists began to set in, I guess the adrenaline had worn off. A strong gust of wind hit my exposed wounds and I gasped weakly, the pain was excruciating but knowing that it'd all be over soon felt strangely comforting. The sun's light began to grow stronger and stronger until I was covered in this beautiful and warm golden light. I sighed softly and let my eyes close, the sounds around me grew distant as a voice grew louder and louder. It was calling my name and it sounded so familiar....