Fourteen Birthdays and the Truth

Hermione Jean Granger woke up the morning of September 19th to her best friend blasting music. It wasn't calm music either, nor was it something she would typically listen to. Despite popular belief, Hermione did not listen to classical music. Instead, she found herself listening to ABBA. However, that was beside the point. 

Instead of waking up to the glorious sound of her alarm, Hermione woke up to Highway to Hell by ACDC blasting only inches away from her ear. Hermione sat up in the bed, glaring at her friend beside her. 

"'Morning, 'Mione!" Nova said cheerily. Hermione narrowed her eyes, Nova was never up before her. 

Hermione's warm brown eyes scanned the red and gold Gryffindor dorm room. Lavender and Pavarti were not in their room. As Hermione looked out the window, she saw the sun high in the light blue sky, signaling it was late morning or early afternoon. 

"Merlin's beard!" Hermione screamed, jumping up from her bed. "I'll miss all my classes! How did I sleep through my alarm?"

"You didn't," Nova said, examining the gold nail polish on her nails. "I turned it off."

"You did what?" Hermione demanded, her left eye twitching. 

"I. Turned. It. Off." Nova said slowly. "It's Sunday, and I was tired. I didn't feel like hearing it so I turned it off."

"That still doesn't make sense. I wake up two minutes before my alarm, no matter how tired I am," Hermione pondered. 

"Two possibilities. One, I drugged you. Two, you overworked yourself. Meaning your exhaustion caught up with ya," Nova said, pretending to read one of Hermione's textbooks. 

"That's preposterous!" Hermione stated, snatching the book Nova was reading and stuffing it into her bag with the others. "I have been getting the recommended amount of sleep every night."

"You know it's Sunday, right? There are no classes," Nova stated, raising a single eyebrow. Hermione ignored her, checking to make sure she had everything. 

"The only other possibility was if someone slipped a potion into my drink," Hermione thought aloud, turning to Nova. "You handed me my tea last night..."

"How bizarre." Nova shrugged innocently, fixing her leather jacket. Nova's typical weekend apparel consisted of black ripped skinny jeans, black converses, whatever shirt she found first, and her leather jacket that was over the grey hoodie Nova stole from Harry last week. 

"Did you-" Hermione began to ask. 

"Did I what?" Nova asked. 

"Did you put a sleeping potion in my tea last night?" Hermione asked, narrowing her eyes into slits. 

"No," Nova said. 

It was silent for a moment. 

"I drugged you," Nova stated bluntly, pocketing her iPod and headphones.  

"You what?" Hermione screeched. 

"I. Drugged. You." Nova repeated slowly. 

"I heard you!" Hermione yelled. 

"Don't worry, it wasn't a roofie or anything. It was just melatonin." Nova informed. "It's a sleep hormone. Shouldn't you know this? You were a muggle for eleven years of your life."

"I know what it is!" Hermione seethed. "Nova, I have classes today!"

"It's. Sunday. Sunday. Means. No. Classes." Nova said slowly, hoping her friend would catch on. 

"So? I can use this day to study," Hermione stated in an obvious tone. 

"Hermione, what's today's date?" Nova asked, raising an eyebrow.