Chapter 6: The Mentor: Keefe's POV

The girl, The Moonlark, left the alley within seconds of saying her code name.

It was strange, not just the weird way Keefe's emotions were spiking up around The Moonlark, but also how he could read her emotions without having contact. Not to mention that she was at the bank to help the police. Why would she want to help them? They usually treated people with abilities like they were monsters, and yet The Moonlark helps them.

Sure, Keefe also helps the police, but only because-

Keefe's train of thought was cut off as Bangs Boy said, "Funkyhair I gotta get home before someone notices I'm gone."

"Uh, sure. See ya," Keefe said as Bangs Boy hid himself in the shadows.

Keefe slowly walked back to his dad's car. When he got there he turned it on and drove to his house at a leisurely pace.

The streets were mostly empty and the street lights cast a yellowy glow into the dark night.

Keefe had never planned to fight crime. It wasn't like when he was a kid he said "You know what? I want to work with this emo kid and fight crime!". No, first of all Bangs Boy was utterly annoying and his taste in fashion was terrible. Secondly, fighting crime was exhausting and dangerous. Thirdly, it really messes with his hair and beauty sleep. It's not like he fights crime for fun, but he owes it to someone.

Someone who trained him in his abilities and taught him how to hide them. Someone who had died in order to save Keefe.

He had met Mr. Forkle by chance in the park when he was ten years old. Keefe had manifested when he was nine and he had been so confused as to what was happening to him. Keefe hadn't told anyone, not his parents, not even his best friend, Fitz. So when he met Mr. Forkle at the park and found out he had abilities, Keefe had asked for help.

Since that day, Keefe met Mr. Forkle secretly to better control his abilities twice a week. But one night, when they were practicing, everything went wrong. A robber who was running away from three police cars was heading towards Keefe and Mr. Forkle, completely unaware that they were there. But when the robber got closer he spotted Mr. Forkle and Keefe. He grabbed Keefe and pointed a gun at his head, telling the police to put down their guns and let him go. But the police held their guard insisting that the robber drop his gun.

Keefe could still remember how nervous and scared he had felt in that moment.

The robber was about to pull the trigger when all of a sudden he let Keefe go. Keefe ran away from the robber only to see Mr. Forkle fully concentrated with his eyes closed. He must have done some mind trick with his Telepathy to make the robber let Keefe go. But the robber soon regained control and turned his gun towards Mr. Forkle and shot him.

Keefe ran to him with tears in his eyes, but Mr. Forkle had insisted he run before the police got hold of him.

And Keefe did run. He ran as fast as he could to his house, sobbing and stumbling through the night.

Now Keefe knew that he had been a coward, he should have stayed to get Mr. Forkle to safety. But instead he had left him to die. Sure, at the moment he was only thirteen years old, but that was no excuse. Keefe's hands squeezed the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles began to turn white.

Keefe didn't like the police. He fought crime to fight criminals, to avenge Mr. Forkle. He wasn't sure what had happened to the robber who had murdered Forkle, but he knew that if he ever saw him again that he would make him pay.

Keefe took in a shaky breath as he remembered the last words Mr. Forkle had transmitted to him.

Use your powers for good.