32

~ phoenix ~

I avoided Ilya like the plague for the next week.

Or maybe he was avoiding me.

He never returned during the nights and he wasn't there in the mornings. I suspected that was because of me - because of that unforgivable moment of intimacy - and so I'd hijacked his room, unintentionally. I didn't dwell too much on that; it's the least he deserved.

Had it not been for Katarina, perhaps I might've gone insane from the lack of company.

I wasn't allowed out, I found out when I tried to go for a walk. The guard, who was posted outside the room refused to talk to me. Thus, all I could do with my time was to sit in his balcony, thinking.

That's how my new friend would find me everyday. It was our new routine. She'd drag me out of the cold, chiding me like Tabby would and then like Gia, she'd squeal over new gossip and rumours of the basement. I would laugh halfheartedly or engage absentmindedly in a debate as to which colour of lingerie suited which personality.

I found out that the basement of the Ivanov Mansion was party central in Russia, with VIP guests and a countless number of escorts and pole dancers. Initially, I was slightly miffed that Ilya had dared to deposit me there like I was his personal whore. But the thought of him brought back too much pain, so I got over the anger quickly. Anger, that was all I seemed to feel towards him. It was pathetic.

Katarina knew something had gone wrong. To her credit, she didn't ask.

However, on the eighth day, she became exasperated with my inattentiveness.

"What's the matter with you, birdie?"

That had become her new nickname for me. Birdie. She thought it was witty in relation to my name. I accepted it gladly. Phee resurfaced unbearable memories.

"What?" I asked, innocently. I would under no circumstances mention that damned kiss.

She raised a perfect brow, glaring.

Then, her annoyance evaporated. "You know what?" she started suddenly, grinning.

I groaned inwardly.

"You need a trip to the basement," she finished, with a grand flourish of her hands.

At that, my ears perked. I was intrigued by the notorious basement and moreover, I needed to get out of this damn room, where everything smelt and felt like him.

"But the guard won't-"

"Oh whatever! I'll distract him," she smirked. "And you can make a run for it."

I giggled, knowingly. It had been so long since I broke any rules.

I leapt off the bed, excitedly. Rina left the room first and I heard the sultry murmur of her voice as she worked her magic on the guard. When his back turned away from the door, I silently sprinted down the corridor until I was out of sight. Moments later, Rina appeared, giggling as she smuggled me down into the basement.

"Damn, he's a piece of work," she huffed.

When the elevator pinged and the doors slid open, she grabbed my arm, leading me down another corridor of scantily dressed women. I was marvelled by their brazen confidence and elegance. I could never flaunt my body like that. They seemed content with it as well.

We arrived at a familiar messy room, one I'd woken up in before, and immediately, we fell onto the bed in a fit of cackles. That was so exhilarating; a breath of fresh air.

Rina sat up again, her eyes sparkling. "Makeover!" she squealed, pulling me with her to a cluttered vanity. I didn't complain. I wanted to feel good, after so long. I needed a distraction from my own mind.

We chatted freely as she applied various different cosmetic products to my face, much of which I didn't recognise.

"So I'm guessing you don't have Morphe here?" I grinned.

"Mor-phee," she repeated in her heavy accent, scrunching her nose.

I laughed.

She huffed. "Stop moving, birdie!"

Stifling my giggles, I obediently sat still.

When she turned me towards the mirror, my jaw dropped. I could barely recognise myself. The dark, baggy circles had vanished and my cheeks were no longer pale.

"How?" I could only ask in astonishment.

Satisfied with my reaction, Katarina announced, "Now, outfits!"

I followed her movement to the closet at the end of the room. I took a glimpse of the bright, sparkly, scandalous pieces of clothing. "No, no, no, Rina," I backtracked, "I don't think so."

"WHAT?!" she screeched, melodramatically, "I did all that work for nothing?"

Oops. "Yes, well, it's just that, um-"

Cutting my rambling off, she demanded, "No buts. You'll look stunning."

I bit my lip, anxiously. I doubt her clothes would even fit me. I mean, her generous upper department and even more generous lower department gave her the body of a goddess. Me on the other hand...

I followed her into the chaos she called a closet.

"Hmm," she mused, flicking through various dresses, "we need to display that mark of yours, now that it's finally healed."

She was right. My tattoo no longer stung, though I was sure I did not want to display his mark. "No thanks," I told her.

"We have to. You're a new face around here, we need to show them that you're one of us," she explained.

"Why?" I questioned, sceptically. "Aren't we staying here?"

"And waste my hard work? I don't think so, Birdie." Then, with a squeal, she threw a very revealing two piece at me.

Groaning my disapproval, I held it back at her.

"No," I moaned.

"Yes," she cooed back, mimicking me.

Head hung in defeat, I stripped out of his comfy hoodie and my shorts into the plunge neck silver crop top and a matching skirt, with a very large slit. It hung very low on my hips, revealing the tattoo just like she wanted.

Rina wore a crimson minidress, while I finished. After fiddling in a drawer, she flung a glittering set of earrings and necklace at me.

I caught them in surprise. "Is this actual diamond?"

She shrugged, dismissively. "I've got loads. Perks of the mafia, I guess."

I was still in shock, while I was being dragged out of the room.

"Where are we going, Rina?" I demanded.

The mischievous blonde only grinned. "You'll see."

𝑥𝑜
𝖗𝖔𝖘𝖆𝖛𝖎