Chapter Twenty-nine

Gemma was home the next day when she heard from Tyler, and she found out that his mother had been killed.

The day of the memorial service everyone sat in the school gym. Gemma sat next to Tyler, holding his hand.

"Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness in times of tragedy leads to healing, that one community is stronger than a thousand of its members. But how does a community stay strong after losing its leader? And Carol was so much more than a leader; she was an open-minded friend and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident." Sheriff Forbes said aloud.

"Scream this." Tyler said to Gemma.

"What? Tyler? Tyler?" Gemma calls after him after Tyler leaves the gym.

"Please join me in observing a moment of silence in her memory." Gemma looks down, but looks up when she hears Bonnie and Elena talking, Elena gets up and leaves the gym.

"Thank you so much. In the wake of this tragedy, the town has selected an interim mayor. Many of you may already know him. Please welcome Mr. Rudy Hopkins." Liz said.

"Thank you so much, Sheriff. Carol Lockwood put this town first..." Rudy said

After the memorial Gemma came out of the gym on her phone talking to Stefan;

"Hey, you just missed the mandatory school assembly." Gemma told Stefan.

"Well, that's because I'm at a mandatory all-day drinking party."

"Seriously? You decided to go on a ripper bender now?"

"My brother slept with Elena. It kinda puts a damper on things."

"First of all, you weren't supposed to know that, and second of all, Tyler is already spiraling, and he gets top priority." 

"His mother just died. What do you expect?"

"I'm his girlfriend. I expect him to talk to me, especially because I've lost both of my parents. But instead, he's all angry, and it doesn't help that everyone keeps referring to his mother's death as an accident, which is just a really nice way of saying she was drunk."

"You think Klaus killed her."

"Hmm, yes. Because I don't think she drowned in her fucking martini glass. But please Stefan, get it together, I do need you. I can't do this alone. " Gemma hangs up the phone.

Gemma gets home and changes her clothes, and hears her phone ringing;

"I'm only ready to talk to you if you're ready to rejoin civilization, Stefan."

"How would you like to drive the white oak stake through Rebekah's heart."

"If it means that you're not drinking your way through the mystic grill, sure." Gemma leaves her house with a white oak stake in her hang and goes to the school. She gets there and looks in every classroom looking for Rebekah, she pulls out her phone and texts Stefan;

Gemma: 2nd floor clear

Gemma hears a noise and turns around quickly and is compelled by Rebekah to go into the library where Elena and April already were.

"Sit." Rebekah demanded.

"Gem." Elena said.

"Stay."

Sometime later Rebekah returned with Stefan.

"Stefan..." Elena said standing up.

"Did I say you could move?" Elena sits back down, "class is in session. You've all be compelled; you know the rules. Answer my questions honestly, no disobedience, no one leaves. April, my sweet, take notes. This is how you get answers in this little town. Let's start with a little quiz. In the year 1114, my brother learned, thanks to yours truly, about a brotherhood of vampire hunters with tattoos that grew with each kill. These tattoos revealed what, Elena?"