December 2

11:37 pm

"Take a left next at the big tree. Follow the road until it isn't a ros until it turns back into a road. Old Creek Road becomes Middle Creek Lane, but if it turns into Plum Creek Road then I've gone too far."

"If I get to the end of Plum Creek Road, I better not end up IN Plum Creek! What kind of fucking directions are these?" Santana said out loud with a groan.

"Well-" A voice sleepily responded. "You didn't have to come until tomorrow."

"You said it was a rush."

"I said it was 'rush, but not a rush rush' and definitely not a 'come in the middle of the night rush'."

"Mercedes, you said you had something for me. That it would get me away. I could work in peace and quiet over the holidays without all the racket. So in my book, that's a rush." Santana made a sharp turn down another road that looked even darker than the last one she had been on. How could it be so dark? Why weren't there any lights or street lamps? It was unnerving even with her high beams on. She squinted out her window and raised her voice so Mercedes would definitely hear her through the phone. "And why the fuck isn't your town even on my GPS? Are you so far removed from civilization that you're living in a commune now?"

"I thought you said communes were a lesbian thing." Mercedes quickly corrected her former college roommate. "And yet... weren't you the one who spent three weeks in the middle of upstate New York because yout girlfriend at the time wanted to give subsistence farming a try? And she was trying to make you a vegataria-"

"Alright!" Santana quickly cut her off, but not before she turned a dark shade of red. " There was no need to bring her up. I don't even remember my name-"

"Kyrsten. With a 'y'-" Mercedes easily reminded her. Santana sputtered. "And you made sure to remind us anytime we invited her anywhere. As if it mattered that I spelled it any differently than when I said it."

"She cou-"

"-could tell." Mercedes finished the sentence before Santana. She had heared that line about a thousand times in the two months Santana had dated Kyrsten. "I know."

"I thought you said you were tired." Santana tried to change the subject. But an old wooden sign post caught her eyes. "Shit! I think I'm back on Plum Creek Road!"

"That means you went too far! Go back and find the left cut off. It will open to Grange Road."

"Ugh!" Santana spun the wheel of her car obnoxiously with disregard for the rules of the road. There was no one out there anyway. The only thing she was in danger of hitting was a squirrel or a possum. "Cedes, you live in the middle of Bumblefuck and these roads are so stupid."

"As i said before and many times previously, you could have come in the morning..." Mercedes mumbled.

Santana finally saw the left cutout 'road' that Mercedes had been talking about. "I found Grange Road or whatever."

"Finally! Now just follow it down about two miles and ask for directions at the gas station about how to get to Main Street in Midtown."

"What?!" Santana glanced to the phone in her hand as if Mercedes could see her. "You were supposed to get to help me!"

"It's almost midnight, Tana. I've got work. You're in one of your stubborn moods and frankly, I don't think you're gonna make it tonight. You might as well pull off the road, turn off the engine, and find it in the morning with my very accurate directions."

"Hell no! I'm not doing that and I can follow directions. Yours just suck-"

"Or you could do what any normal person would do when they are lost and ask for directions. But if you want to spend the rest of the night driving around and being lost, that's on you. Good night, Santana, and maybe I'll see you tomorrow morning."