"Pull the scarf back up," Rhys said. "We'll find a gas station for you to clean up in."

Anna grabbed the scarf and wrapped it back around her face. They were all silent as Rhys pulled off at the next exit. There was a small gas station with only a few cars. Rhys pulled in next to one of the pumps.

"Go to the washroom," Rhys told Anna. "Make sure you clean it all off."

"How am I supposed to know if it's all off?" Anna asked. "I can't see my reflection."

"I'll go help her," Drew said.

"No," Rhys said. "Hux, you go with her."

"Aye, aye, sir," Huxley said as he gave a salute.

They all got out of the car. Huxley stayed close to Anna's side as they walked around to the back of the gas station. She opened the bathroom door and a horrid smell filled her nose. Huxley crinkled his nose as they stepped in. Anna pulled the scarf down when she heard the door click shut.

"How bad is it?" Anna asked.

Huxley cringed.

"You definitely look like you just fed," he said.

Anna sighed. She looked over at the mirror to see neither her nor Huxley's reflection. She wondered if she would soon forget what she looked like.

"You know that was a close call," Huxley said. "What really went on out there?"

"I recognized that vampire hunter," Anna said. "We grew up together. He was one of Jonathan's friends."

"How close are you to Jonathan Nightingale?"

"He's my older brother."

Huxley shook his head and ran his fingers through his mop of blond hair.

"This is bad," he said. "You need to tell Rhys."

"I can't," Anna said. "You've heard what Rhys has said. I'll die without you guys. If Rhys finds out I'm a Nightingale he'll abandon me or kill me."

Huxley nodded, knowing that it was the truth.

He pulled a couple of pieces of paper towel out of the dispenser before wetting it in the sink. Anna leaned against the sink. Huxley dabbed her face with the wet paper towel.

"You won't tell him, right?" she asked.

"Of course not," he said.

"You promise?"

"Anna, I may be a goof, but I'm as loyal as they come."

Anna's lips lifted into a smile. She wrapped her arms around Huxley. He was shocked by her hug, and he stumbled back. He wrapped his arms tight around Anna. She rested her head on his chest.

"Thank you so much," she said.

"I like having you in the group," he said. "You're the only one who doesn't get annoyed by me."

"Of course not."

Anna giggled. Huxley rubbed her back, and she pulled away from him. He was grinning. He continued to wash the remaining bits of blood off of her face. Anna stayed still as he finished.

Once he was finished, he tossed the blood paper towel into the garbage. He pulled more paper towels out of the dispenser so that he could hide the bloody towel.

"Huxley, I have a question," Anna said.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Who is Hannah?"

He opened his mouth, but quickly closed it and shook his head. Anna's heart sank. She was curious about this mysterious girl that Rhys avoids talking about. She was sure that Huxley was the only person who would tell her who Hannah was.

There was a pounding on the door. Huxley looked over his shoulder at the door. The doorknob jiggled, but Huxley had locked it.

"Let's go," Rhys said through the door.

"We'll be out in a second," Huxley shouted.

They listened as Rhys stepped away from the bathroom. Huxley turned back around to face Anna and leaned in close to her.

"Hannah is a sensitive subject around Rhys," he whispered. "I wouldn't mention her if I were you."

Anna nodded.

"I'll try not to," she said.

They went out of the washroom. Rhys's car was pulled off to the side. Calvin was in the backseat and had his sketchpad on his lap again. Rhys was behind the wheel and on a cellphone. Drew was leaning against the car with his arms crossed over his chest. He stood up straighter and smiled when he saw them.

"You're looking a lot better," Drew said.

"Thank you," she said.

"So what's Rhys's plan?" Huxley asked.

"He's trying to find us a new place to stay," Drew said.

"Are we always going to be on the run?" Anna asked.

"The Nightingales have kept us on the run for generations," Drew said.

Rhys swore loudly inside the car and slammed the phone down. Anna grabbed Huxley's arm and pushed him toward the car.

"You've got shotgun," Anna said. "I'm not sitting beside him."

"Now I get shotgun?" Huxley said. "I'll take the backseat middle with my feet on the hump."

"Oh no," Anna said. "That hump is all mine right now. I sat next to him on the whole ride up here."

Drew chuckled. He cocked his head to the side and motioned for Anna to follow him. He opened up the door and she crawled into the backseat. Drew sat down and slammed the door shut. Huxley got into the passenger's seat and Rhys shook his head.

"What is this?" Rhys asked.

"I wanted a change of scenery," Anna said.

Rhys sighed and rolled his eyes. He passed Drew the cellphone.

"Try to find us a place to stay," Rhys said. "I'm going to keep heading South-East."

"South-East?" Drew asked. "That's all I get?"

"I'll change course if you find something."

Drew dialed the phone and held it up to his ear as Rhys pulled out of the gas station and back onto the highway.