Chapter 27

Drew tapped his finger on the marble countertop as he watched Sybil pack a lunch for her twin daughters. Gemma and Katelyn were upstairs and scrambling to get ready before the bus came to pick them up for school. Richard had already left for work. Drew's eyes had been locked on Sybil ever since he left. She would look over her shoulder at him every once in a while and smirk.

The stairs creaked under the twin's footsteps as they came down to the kitchen. Gemma was texting on her phone and Katelyn was finishing putting her hair up in a ponytail. To Drew, they looked like the twelve-year-old versions of Sybil. They had the same long dark hair, high cheekbones, and sharp wit.

It was Sybil's dream to settle down and have a family. He could have never given her that, so he was happy she found her hopes in Richard. A pang of jealousy still sat in his chest. He would love to be Richard and have a beautiful wife, a family, and an office job. He had let himself be vulnerable around Sybil, and it got both of their hearts broken. He wanted to be open to Anna, but he knew that Rhys feeding her his blood would prevent her from ever choosing him over Rhys.

Sybil passed her daughters their lunch and then kissed their cheeks. They said their goodbyes before the girls hurried over to the door. Sybil let out a deep breath and leaned against the counter when the front door shut. She smiled at Drew and set her eyeglasses on top of her head.

"You have a cute family," Drew said.

"I have to enjoy it while I can," Sybil said.

"What do you mean?"

"The girls are turning thirteen in a few weeks. They're going to start struggling as they develop their abilities. I am going to have to tell them the truth and they may hate me."

"You think they'll hate you?"

"I hated my mother when I discovered I was a witch. Do you know how much of an outcast that makes you feel like?"

Drew chuckled and shrugged.

"Can't be worse than living your life as a member of the undead," he said.

"You're right," she said.

Sybil walked over to the sink and turned on the water. She collected the dishes from breakfast and placed them in soapy water. She rolled up the sleeves of her robe as she dunked her hands into the water.

"Anna seems nice," Sybil said. "How long has she been with you guys? I never thought you'd let a girl into your circle."

"Only for a couple of weeks," Drew said. "Rhys turned her."

Sybil froze and looked over at Drew. He shifted his weight on the stool he was sitting on.

"You brought a new vampire into this house?" she asked. "Are you crazy?"

"She's very controlled for a new vampire," Drew said. "Don't worry, Rhys will not let her out of his sight either."

"Why did Rhys even turn her?"

Drew shrugged. He ran his hand along the top of his head. Sybil continued to wash the dishes.

"He won't tell us why," Drew said. "He's probably in love with her."

"Which bothers you because you also love her?" Sybil asked.

Drew bit down on his lip to stop his jaw from hanging open. Sybil glanced at him before giggling.

"I do not love her," he said.

"Come on, Drew," she said. "This is me you are talking to. I know you, and you used to look at me the same way back in the day."