9

The carriage ride felt like an eternity as Jeonghan and Mingyu sat with Captain of the Guard, Seokjin sitting across from them. Jeonghan tried to look out the window, but he could feel Seokjin's stare searing two flaming holes in his head. It was getting increasingly hard to ignore and increasingly annoying as well.

Finally, he couldn't keep it in any longer. "What is it?" he snapped, his annoyance clear. "I'm not a circus act to stare at all day."

"Oh, don't mind me. I was just wondering what could possibly have  made you happy living like an outlaw out here," Seokjin replied with a smile that failed to reach his eyes, "What's so unappealing about a life of luxury? Many would kill to be in your position."

At that statement, Jeonghan glanced at Mingyu for his reaction, only to find him asleep. He sighed, "You of all people would never understand. You like the constraints, the stiff uniforms and rules." He said the last word like it was an insult. 

"Well of course!" Seokjin said, "We need these rules and so-called constraints, as you call them. Without them, society itself would collapse." 

"But-"

Seokjin held up a hand silencing the string of insults and swear words about to come out of Jeonghan's mouth, "No more talking, we're here." Jeonghan looked out the window once again to a sight that was both beautiful and greatly dreaded. 

His father's manor. 

-

The horse's hooves clopped on the neatly paved road as they approached the main gate. By this time, Mingyu had just woken up from his short nap and looked around blearily at his new surroundings. Where was he? He felt a spike of panic. Where was everyone else-

Catching sight of Jeonghan, the previous night's events crashed down on him like an avalanche, and a tight feeling in his chest started to grow. 

Normally, he would have known what to do in this kind of situation, but for once, he was at a loss. What could he possibly do? He wasn't used to this. He always knew what to do.

Either way, he knew he had to be ready for whatever challenge approached. 

-

A tall, regal figure waited with a stern expression on his face that looked like he had been born with it, as a footman quietly opened the carriage door. Jeonghan stepped out as elegantly as he could without tripping and falling on his face, having a hard time keeping calm and a much harder time resisting the urge to bolt out of the estate as fast as he could. 

He gave a quick glance at Mingyu, who gave an easy smile in response, and he wondered how Mingyu could look almost... relaxed. Jeonghan let out a sigh. He wished he could have looked half as confident as Mingyu did. 

-

Mingyu watched Jeonghan step out of the carriage elegantly, his face a cool mask. He could feel the sweat trickling down the back of his shirt, though the weather was more cool than warm. Stepping out after him, he stumbled, quickly catching himself. When Jeonghan glanced at him,  he gave a sheepish smile, hoping no one noticed his small blunder.

"Now then, Jeonghan," the tall regal figure said, "Did you have your fun? You've made quite a name for yourself these last few years." His expression was one of utter disdain.

"Good to see you too, father."

Father? Mingyu's mind raced. Didn't Jeonghan say he was an orphan? 

Jeonghan's father merely nodded, "Come inside, your rooms are waiting for you. We'll discuss your future inside." He gave a look of contempt at Mingyu that he didn't fail to notice, and led them inside. The heavily armed guards trailed behind like they were prisoners.

Mingyu soon saw that the comparison was a little too accurate for his liking.

-

a/n 

republished cause the chapter didn't end very properly :)