5

The Forest of Light was quiet; a serene calm blanketing all noise. Sunlight filtered through tree branches, creating a rather magical effect, and small animals played about among the bushes. All in all, it was a beautiful place as well as a sanctuary, though the skeletons and armor around the entrance ruined the effect a little.

The Forest had a guardian, protecting the life in it fiercely. Those who intended harm on its inhabitants were quick to realize their mistake, and were always dealt with accordingly. Minghao had watched from the tree branches as the thieves, the criminals, the wannabe heroes attempted to enter. Their greed were so obvious in his eyes, but this time was a little different.

Sitting in the branches of a tree, Minghao absentmindedly wove a flower crown from the abundance of wildflowers that grew in the forest. Then there was movement, evidence of a new visitor. Looking to see who, he let out a light chuckle.

A prince? 

With fine clothing and the air of someone who only knew luxury, it was quite obvious. Those were few and far in between, but they were all the same, their goal not any different from the others.

Greed.

The prince stood at the entrance of the forest. His wide-eyed innocence seemed genuine, his sword looking more like decoration than a real weapon.

The watching dryad frowned. Did he not notice the clear warning? Were the dead bodies and dried blood not enough to drive him away? He sighed. This was one was dense. Sure, the prince looked friendly, but that's what he thought last time. With all of the others. So called friends that ultimately betrayed his trust. Of course, there were some exceptions but they were rare.

Minghao scoffed. Let him run to his death. He looked away, knowing what was going to happen.

Let him run to his death like all of the others.

-

The dryad didn't know how much time had passed, but as the prince slowly entered, the formerly peaceful forest suddenly came alive, roots and branches whipping about.

One root shot by, narrowly missing the prince's face as another wrapped around his torso. The prince yelled and struggled to disentangle it from himself to no avail. Drawing his sword, he hacked at the stubborn wood, hardly making a dent and only succeeding in dulling the blade.

His struggles becoming more futile, the roots quickly wrapped around the prince's arms, legs, and eventually throat.

Perhaps it was fate, but at that moment, Minghao looked, and for whatever reason, something pulled him to save the helpless prince.

-

When Jun set out on his father's order, he wasn't expecting something so disastrous to happen so soon. He should have known. After all, his father would do anything to keep or multiply his power. Perhaps it was his plan all along: to get rid of him.

He felt a strange numbness and warmth as his vision darkened before abruptly being able to breath again. Finding himself flat on his back on the ground, he let out a gasp before taking a deep breath. Jun stared up at the sky in a daze as he struggled to process what had just happened. What had happened?

His vision was suddenly blocked by an unfamiliar face.

"Are you going to get up or not?" The stranger's voice was curt and no-nonsense.

After cautiously getting up, he could only stare at the stranger who had saved him. Dressed in a short chiton, gold jewelry hung from his ears and wrists. His clothing style was ancient, yet the stranger looked young, even younger than himself. 

Then the stranger cleared his throat, making Jun remember his manners. Giving a sweeping bow, he said, "Thank you for saving my life."

The stranger only continued to stare at him like he had grown horns on the top of his head, and Jun smiled awkwardly, feeling his face grow warm with embarrassment.

At last, the stranger spoke again, words cutting like a knife.

"Why are you here?"

Taken aback by the blunt question, Jun could only stare with his mouth open, brain trying to load an answer.

"I- um-"

The stranger looked at him expectantly, leaning against a tree, already bored.

"My father sent me to find something, and I got lost."

"Your father sent you to find something, and you got lost." the stranger repeated skeptically, raising an eyebrow. Jun nodded hesitantly. Though he was technically speaking the truth, the stranger seemed to know that he wasn't telling all of it.

Much to Jun's confusion, the stranger seemed to accept it and shrugged before saying, "Consider yourself lucky that you entered the Forest of Light and lived. Don't come back again."

Jun took a moment to understand what the stranger said. "H-hold on!" he managed to stutter out as the stranger turned to leave. The stranger looked back, annoyance clear on his face.

"What's your name?"

The annoyance shifted to suspicion and the stranger sighed. "You can call me Minghao." Turning to leave again, he continued with a wave of his hand, "Remember what I said, Junhui."

Then he was gone dissolved into mist and melted by the sun, leaving Jun to ponder over what he had just learned and how the stranger knew his name.

-

Minghao sighed and sat down on a large rock. That encounter would sit with him for at least a week. Did he act hostile enough? Would that conversation be enough to deter the prince coming back again? Perhaps he was too lenient on him. Perhaps he should have left him to die after all.

Nevertheless, the prince, Junhui, meant trouble. Why else would he go to the Forest of Light? Rumored to have countless riches or legendary objects, it was a prime target for unpleasant people (if they could find it that is). Minghao snorted at the prince's petty excuse, getting lost after being sent by his father to find something.

They would have to prepare should he return.

-

"Why so blue, Minghao?" The water nymph drifted in the stream, only half his face above the water. His clear white eyes stared at him with curiosity, shaded slightly by the lily pad on his head. "Did someone stop by today?"

"It's nothing, Jimin," Minghao replied.

Jimin sighed, completely submerging himself in the water before pulling himself out, sitting on the bank. "I know when you're lying." He carefully set his lily pad on the water's surface as his clothing immediately dried. "Spill." [a/n ahaha get it? cause he's a water nymph and he said 'spill'- yeah i'll stop now]

-

a/n

sorry this chapter's a bit shorter  :/

@/mydumbjaemin - jimin's here ^-^

Y'all!!! This really gave me dryad Minghao vibes oof

Please support his Contemporary Art! :D