Legend of the First Mage King

In Solis's past, there were 13 greats, 12 of which were part of what was called the Council:

Thala (Jeonghan) - Prince of the Seas - a clever marine commander of the Solisian navy.

Terin (Joshua) - Enchanter of Stars - A powerful mage with great love of the night sky.

June (Junhui) - Moon Prince - A high-ranking officer who was skilled in lunar magic.

Aster (Soonyoung) - The Shifter - A shapeshifter who used his skills to scout and spy on the enemy.

Lyko (Wonwoo) - Bookkeeper - A scholar who looked after Solis's enormous library.

Mito (Jihoon) - Victory Bringer - A military advisor known for logical strategies and countless victories.

Elliot (Seokmin) - Healer - A powerful healer mage whose skills were unparalleled in Solis.

Theo (Mingyu) - Golden Knight - A formidable knight known to wield an enchanted ax gilded with gold.

Vota (Minghao) - Dryad - A high-ranking general known for his quick wit and use of elemental spells.

Nimi (Seungkwan) - Chronicler - A mage who had recorded all of the Council's travels and adventures.

Alexi (Vernon) - Silver Swordsman - A mage knight known to wield an enchanted sword gilded with silver.

Eidis (Chan) - Tinkerer - A blacksmith well-known for his works, including enchanted weaponry and objects.

The leader of the Council, and the greatest among them, was Touil, the First Mage King, who would later be known by another name: the Mad King. He was well known for wielding an enchanted spear inlaid with a single ruby - the Ruby Spear, which was crafted by Eidis.

The Legend of the First Mage King is often told in ballad form, telling of Touil's life and accomplishments. It's fairly popular, but since the entire telling would take at least a full day, the most commonly told parts are the love song and the final battle. This is what this chapter is for - I didn't have much of a chance to introduce this legend in its entirety, so I'll be telling it here. :)

-

The story starts with the first male heir to the royal throne of Solis in generations - Touil. This is centuries ago from the time period this book's story is set in. As a young prince, he was given anything he could ever want and trained in all things related to the military, state affairs, and more. The young son of a royal advisor, Thala, soon became his best friend through childhood and later adulthood, often taking the same lessons as him.

Touil meets Terin, Lyko, Elliot, Theo, Nimi, and Alexi at Solis's renowned Mage Academy and meets the others through his travels in disguise throughout the kingdom. Later, after becoming king and gathering all 12 of the Council, Touil leads Solis to a new age of peace and prosperity. 

However, this doesn't last long - a few years later, dark forces became jealous of how bright Solis had become and were determined to bring it down, taking all of its light and riches for themselves.

Of course, Touil couldn't let this happen, so he gathered as many forces as he could to battle the darkness. They were successful to an extent, but were gradually being pushed back, that is until the last battle.

In the last battle of the war that would become known as the Shattering of the Sky, Touil helplessly watched as his friends fell one by one to the enemy. Elliot, the great healer tried his best to heal the wounded, but even he wasn't enough, later going insane as a result of magical burnout.

The last straw was news of Thala's death, and something in Touil snapped, unlocking a powerful and dangerous magic even he didn't know he had - the fabled Royal Fury that only appeared with enough grief and rage from someone of royal blood.

It was like he had gone mad - control of the Royal Fury was nearly impossible, and he annihilated everyone in his path, friend and enemy alike. It was from this blind rampage that Lyko, Vota, and Terin died, and it earns him the title of Mad King.

In the end, Touil was successful in sealing the leader of the dark forces in a prison, using his own life as collateral. 

Solis had won, though at such a high price, it was considered a pyrrhic victory, or a hollow victory in which the loss of life made it tantamount to defeat. 

Those of the council who survived the war: Nimi, Eidis, and Mito, worked hard to slowly and surely rebuild Solis back to its former glory - though they all vanished after their work was done. Elliot in his madness, quietly disappeared.

-

The legendary figures' real names have all but been forgotten in Solis. In the story, only their titles are known.

In addition, none of the council were truly 'brought back', only leaving behind those called 'descendants', the current characters of this story. However, one exception would be Vota (Minghao), who has changed his name several times across the ages. With his love and care towards plants as well as some other reasons, the then Guardian of the Forest of Light chose him as her successor, giving him her life source and thus reviving him with most of the memories he wished he could forget.

note: I forgot about this AU again (this version and the rewrite) oops - have an info dump