Chapter 25:

It had been two days, and Malfoy still hadn't calmed down from his midnight conversation with Dahlia. He kept replaying her words in his mind, seeing her mangled hand in his dreams. He didn't know why it mattered, but it almost... hurt that she hadn't waited. Malfoy had reminded himself that he hadn't bothered to wait for her either, but the images of Dahlia wrapped around another man left him... empty. Until the emptiness filled with rage.

The more Malfoy tried to push her from his mind, the more she seemed to infiltrate it. She'd come back so angry, and he couldn't blame her for directing some of it at him. Strangely enough, it was her anger that drew him to her more. She was a force to be reckoned with, one that he hadn't seen coming. Malfoy found himself obsessing over who could have possibly gotten her attention, but he was clueless. The more he thought about it the deeper root his anger took. His disgust with himself for caring who had touched Dahlia just fueled his anger more.

"You alright, mate?" Blaise's voice jerked Malfoy from his reverie. Malfoy twitched in his seat, turning to the entrance wall. He had been relaxing in the common room, reclined in a chair in the corner, on the far side of the fireplace

"I'm fine," Malfoy snapped, turning to face Blaise who had just entered their common room. Blaise was a handsome boy, although his complexion was the opposite of Malfoy's. Blaise was tall, standing about 6'1". Not quite as tall as Malfoy, but taller than the others in their limited friend group. His skin was a darker tone, more caramel than anything and his hair was dark. His eyes were chocolate brown, and right now they flickered with amusement.

"You've been in a sour mood these last few days," Blaise noted as he took a seat opposite of Malfoy's. He folded his legs and looked at Malfoy with an almost amused smile on his face. "Care to talk about it?"

Malfoy ignored him, mind reflected back on his father's most recent letter. Malfoy Sr. was demanding that Draco interrogate his fellow Slytherins for information on Dahlia. Knowing is father, Draco intending on asking only the people his father would follow up on him with, starting with Zabini, Nott, and Parkinson. "What do you know of the Dumbledore girl?"

"Dahlia?" Blaise lit up, smirk spreading across his face. "I've been checking her out. She threw Umbridge against a wall! I mean, she was hot before, but damn after that, I was about ready to marry her."

Malfoy stomped down the anger at his friend's flirty words, hating how they sparked jealousy inside him. He snorted instead, rolling his eyes with disdain. "You're ready to marry any girl that bats half an eye at you."

"He's got you there, mate." Another person stepped through the wall and into the common room. Theodore Nott made his appearance. He was the shortest of the three, although still very nearly six foot tall. He had lighter brown hair than Blaise, and was slightly stocker than the other two boys. His face blossomed to show a dimple on either cheek when he smiled, something he assured the other boys was partially responsible for the amount of women he got.

"Theo," Blaise motioned him over eagerly. "Malfoy was just asking me about the Dumbledore girl!"

"Dahlia?" Theo's eyes lit up, and he broke out into one of his famous dimple smiles. He clapped his hands, rubbing them together as he took a seat next to Blaise. "She's hot, mate. Had a front row seat when she threw Umbridge against a wall, wandless and wordless."

"It was nonverbal?" Blaise looked impressed, eyebrows flying high. "Bloody hell."

Malfoy nearly groaned, but suppressed the urge as he watched his friends continue to rave about Dahlia. He felt his eye begin to twitch, the headache forming as he attempted to control his temper. He had no claim to Dahlia - she'd made it clear she didn't want anything with him. He was forced to agree. Draco had almost succeeded in calming his temper when his ears tuned in to the conversation happening around him.