Chapter Sixteen

After the picnic, Kieran and Elena decided to take a walk outside, in the neighbourhood. It was not uncommon for nobles and middle class men to live in the same areas. It was mostly farmers who lived in villages.

Opposite Rivera Manor was Sir Grayson's manor, which was more land than house. He was in the business of selling cattle and meat, and dominated the butchering business, owning a large number of slaughterhouses in the Northern and Central sectors of Rievelt. He also involved in the production and sale of milk. Thus, his farm was rather large, and stretched on for miles in paddocks.

As the couple walked on the path, all they could see to the right were stretches of green fenced in by barbed wire, some cows grazing about.

Elena was laughing.
"I really am serious, General," she said, beaming at Kieran, who was looking at her doubtfully.

"A canter?" he asked, "Really?"

"And pretty soon, I will move up to a gallop." she declared happily, then frowned at him, "Are you not proud of me? It is all because of you that I am able to ride a horse alone now."

He shook his head. "I'm just wondering where you got the time to practice to ride."

"Two days at my cousins' were just enough," she replied, "Since I was not scared anymore, I easily got the hang of it."

Abruptly, she stopped walking and turned to him. "General."

He too, stopped and looked at her as she stood by his side. "Hm?"

She averted her gaze from his face, and nervously tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I...I w-wanted to say thank you."

"What for?"

"Well it is all because of you that I am n-nolonger afraid of riding," she said and looked up into his eyes, "You.....gave me courage."

Kieran said nothing, but only gazed at her with such intensity, she felt her heart beat quicken.

He had not found him teaching her to ride something great, but looking at Elena then, he understood that every single achievement no matter how small, was held close to her heart.

"What is the matter?" she asked when he did not speak for quite a while.

Kieran merely shook his head.
"There are not many people such as you in this world." He said.

Elena's eyebrows met in confusion. "Such as me?"

He waved his hand dismissively, "Forget it." He said, and continued to walk. Elena followed suit, but then suddenly gasped.

"What is that?" she asked.

"What is what?"

Elena hurried forward, moving to the right side of the path. Outside the barbed wire fence was a tall stretch of unruly and untrimmed grass, and she crouched infront of it, reaching into it.

A curious Kieran stepped closer to her, and she stood up, turning to face him. His eyes roamed from her exuberant face to the ball of fur she cradled in her arms, which must have been the cause of her joy.

Identifying what he was, he jerked back violently, jumping back from her.

"What is that!" he shouted. There was an evident shake in his voice that caused it to become a tad high pitched, and he was pointing as what was in her arms, the colour drained from his face.

The creature let out a soft 'meow' and he winced, taking a step back.

"What are you saying? It is a kitten, of course!" Elena replied joyously, the smile reaching her ears. She looked down fondly at the black and grey young one, and stroked the grey fur on top of its head. It closed its large blue eyes and leaned its head back into her touch, "Isn't it adorable!"