Chapter Fifty-eight

It was day two of the ten days leading up to the wedding and Kieran was absent, leaving Elena upset. Joshua said Kieran's mission would require him to spend the night in the city – something about a stakeout with the inspectors – and indeed, her fiancé had not come home the previous night.

According to what Elena understood from the situation, any of the captains could have undertaken that mission. Joshua said it was a simple one yet The General had taken it upon himself to go.

And leave her behind.

It vexed her. She could not help but feel he was intentionally keeping away from her; avoiding her. She tried to defend his behavior by correlating it to Lady Alyssa's rules but she simply couldn't. The fact was: he had kissed her with no explanation and now he'd gone missing. Was he really trying to run away?

It was these insecurities and frustrations that kept her awake on her second night, pacing, when she really should have been sleeping.

She had tried, though. She'd taken her bath, brushed her teeth and changed into her long white nightgown. Then she'd sat on her bed and stared at the dressing table opposite it for a very long time.

Her bed-chamber was situated opposite Aira's, and when she turned the next corridor to her right, Kieran's was at the extreme end. The rest of the doors in his corridor belonged to his brothers' bed-chambers. The master bed-chamber was on the floor above.

Kieran had not returned yet, even though Joshua had said he would be back that day.

Maybe she should have told one of the maids to inform her when Kieran arrived. Because seriously, her anxiety would kill her. Was anyone even still awake? She could always stand in the corridor and wait for him to pass.

Elena laughed at herself.

That would not be weird at all.

A light rap on her doors pulled her out of her thoughts. She stood up from the bed, wondering who could be having a need to see her so late at night.

She pulled back the doors slightly, and her eyes widened.

Kieran stood at the doorway, one hand lifted and resting on the wall beside the door. His other hand was on his hip, and his head was bowed with his wavy hair falling over his face. He lifted his head and met her gaze, causing her heart to make a tiny jump.

He moved his hand from the wall and ran it through his thick locks, pushing it back from his face. "Invite me in? Please?"

Elena fought back her excitement hormones and composed herself. She let go of the door knobs and stepped back, giving him room to pass. He left behind the fresh scent of cinnamon and rosemary as he did. He smelt edible. She closed the doors, shaking her head free of those thoughts.

"It's late," she stated, turning around to face him.

"Which is why I did not expect you to be awake," Kieran countered as his eyes analysed her face.

"I was..." She paused, realizing she didn't have an excuse.

Kieran tilted his head to the side."Were you waiting for me?"

Elena widened her eyes. "I was not!"

"Then what were you doing awake at this hour?"

Elena looked away and started pacing about, slowly, as her brain wracked for a suitable response. She turned back to him and said, "Reading."

She wanted to face-palm herself at once. Of all the things to pick out, why would she pick such a silly one as that?

A small smile lifted a corner of Kieran's mouth as his eyes danced with amusement. "Reading. That's what you're going with?"