Chapter Five

Mallory

It was our last day of high school, and the start to a new summer. Technically, there was a graduation ceremony, but my parents never really cared to attend such things for me. So instead, I was planning to meet Reid after school was done.

"Guys, we did it." Kennedy said, tears sparkling in her eyes as the valedictorian walked up to deliver their speech. I needed to prioritise my girlfriends before I found Reid. 

I squeezed Kennedy and Cleo into hugs. "Promise me that we'll go on a trip in the summer somewhere. Even if it's just to the beach."

"We're going somewhere." Cleo swore. We stayed in the hug, and I sensed that these girls felt the same loss as I did. It didn't help that Cleo, Reid and I l all got into Collard University, whereas Kennedy chose to take up an engineering internship on the other side of the country. We were forced to part ways.

I gave Kennedy an extra hug, and we clung to each other. "I'm going to miss you so much next year."

"We'll meet up, don't worry. I'll come to your dorm if I have to." Kennedy said, holding me by the shoulders. 

I laughed quietly, brushing away the tears. "I'll do the same for you. I love you."

"I love you." Kennedy echoed.

We looked at each other for a few seconds, then I turned to smile at Cleo. "I'm going to go meet Reid outside now. Are you guys going to be okay?"

"More than okay." Cleo said with a thumbs up. I nodded, then I gathered my stuff to go outside. My heart was broken by Kennedy's impending withdrawal from my life. She was one of the people I loved most, and I was going to lose her now.

But when I saw Reid waiting outside in his car, the pangs in my heart dissolved into nothing. All I could see was the summer, bright and renewing with the heat and sunshine, and Reid. An endless summer filled with love.

I got into Reid's car, and my boyfriend looked over at me with a grin. "How was your last day?"

"How was yours?" I quipped. We looked at each other for a few seconds before bursting into laughter, even though nothing was really funny. But we both understood why. 

"Not as amazing as it could have been. I missed you." Reid said.

I leaned back into my seat, sighing happily. "I missed you. You know I want to be around you all the time."

"Trust me, I feel it more than you do." Reid said with a wry smile. He looked at me for a second before he leaned in for a small, sweet kiss. 

I smiled as he pulled away. "What was that for?"

"Something for a rainy day. Can I take you somewhere?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Depends on where it is."

"Mallory, can I keep some secrecy for once?" Reid complained.

I shrugged. "You know I don't like secrets."

Reid smiled mysteriously. "This is why I'm showing you my sole secret."

I grinned. "Okay."

I undid my high ponytail, fingers working to release my hair. The air flowing into the car cast a cool breeze over my skin. I sighed contentedly and leaned my head against the seat, tipping up my chin and closing my eyes. I smoothed down my dress and opened her eyes to look at Reid, taking in his relaxed posture and natural grasp at driving. He only just got his licence; how was he so good at everything he tried?

"Where are we going?" I asked him again. I could be insufferable sometimes.

"You'll see," Reid replied patiently, keeping his hand on the wheel as he briefly gave me a once-over. "Have I ever told you that blue is your color? You look gorgeous."