Chapter 1

A/N: Oh right, I should mention: This whole story will have a slow burn, but light and fluffy feel goods all the time. Enjoy...

--- 

Zuko rolled over the next morning and felt the chill of the southern air on the tip of his nose. He blinked quickly as the morning sun fell on his face. As his eyes focused, and the icy walls of his room reminded him that wasn't in his homeland. Zuko sat up in his icy bed made of pelts and fleece, and raised his hand to rub the scar over his eye. The mark which once meant dishonor, he now wore as a badge of pride and bravery.

"Goooooood morning Fire Lord! Haha it's still so weird to say!" Sokka shouted as he burst into the bedroom.

Zuko sighed and greeted Sokka with a tired smile, "Heh. Morning." Sokka sat on the edge of the furred bedding and laid back, lazily. "So, what did you wanna do today? I've been spending a lot of time working on my new place, but I wouldn't mind changing it up."

Zuko leaned across the bed and smirked, "Well, I could chase you around a bit. Like the good old days." Sokka turned to laugh, and saw his face closer to Zuko's than he expected. Sokka blushed before he turned back to face the wall. "Ah...Recycling old jokes, huh? But, I like your thinking. Did you bring your swords? How about some sparring practice?"

Sokka jumped up from the bed expectantly and Zuko tossed the blankets aside to join him. As Zuko strolled across the room to get ready for the new day, Sokka tried his best not to be awkward while his friend was getting dressed. Sokka fussed with his sleeves before he noticed Zuko, fully dressed, and watching him...being awkward. "Great! Let's go!" Sokka shouted before running out the door to let off some steam. Zuko smirked and followed.

The snowy horizon was blinding this early in the morning. And the two young men started out beyond the village. People of the tribe were starting their mornings, either mending garments, prepping to go fishing, sharing stories, playfully engaging children. As they walked, Sokka greeted some of the townspeople. Zuko watched as every interaction Sokka had, he gave his full attention to the concerns of his people. An old woman beckoned Sokka and asked for assistance to load a fisherman's delivery into her home. Another neighbor asked for help repairing the side of their snowy home. A handful more had just wanted to have enjoyable conversations. And, leave it to Sokka to put a smile on their faces at the start of their day.

"You are a great leader," Zuko smiled as he walked ahead of Sokka. They were approaching the outskirts of the town.

"Me? I'm not their leader." Sokka refuted as he bent down to pick up some snow.

"You are a pillar in your community. Your tribe may not have the same structure as the Fire Nation, but they do have a 'Snow' Lord," Zuko laughed and elbowed Sokka before walking ahead of him.

Sokka laughed, "A Snow~ Lord, you say?" He patted the snow in his hands into a tight ball.

"Heh, ya! You could give me a run for my money." Zuko was feeling really proud of his joke. Then, felt a harsh smack on the back of his neck and stumbled forward.

Sokka clutched his sides and howled with amusement as his snowball successfully caught the Fire Lord off guard. Zuko reached up to his neck and turned quickly to his assailant with an aggressive pout. "Snow bending! Get it? Because you said 'Snow Lord!' Gosh, I should really write for the next performance of the Ember Island Players. I'm hilar-" Zuko had drawn his dual swords, with a grin, and started quickly towards Sokka.

Sokka yelped and drew his meteor sword quickly to block the attack. Zuko leaned to one side and pressed both swords against Sokka's to weaken his stance, he had the advantage by catching him off guard. Instinct from his training with the Kioshi Warriors kicked in and Sokka shifted his stance to use his opponent's weight against him. Zuko faltered and Sokka quickly altered to take the offensive. The two jumped away from each other to reassess their attack.