"Why do you assume cages are for your own protection?"

Eira frowned. She supposed that was a fair point. Most Vikings would view it as a punishment - if they resisted the urge to kill their enemy instead. "I only believe in punishment if it works towards the good of both parties. I won't harm someone just to make myself feel better. Revenge is hollow in the end. I'd rather turn an enemy into a friend. All that anger and hatred isn't good for you."

Krogan stared at her long and hard. Then he abruptly stepped into the forest. Startled, Eira followed. "You should focus on the friends you currently have. Tell me, why did you leave Torvald? They must have treated you well."

Eira knew he was referring to her status as a princess, which she told him about during one of her visits to Outcast Island. She saw no reason to hide it anymore. "Everyone treated me very well, and I do love my family. I left because I heard that Berk finally had peace with dragons. Torvald hid from the world for years because of their relationship with dragons. With proof that others could be convinced to adopt our ways, it was time to fight for what we believe."

Krogan stopped, and she almost ran into him. "How noble of you. It must be nice to have the luxury to consider such high ideals."

Eira caught a hint of sarcasm in his voice, and it excited her. Was this her chance to finally get him to tell her about her past? Perhaps, but she had to tread carefully. "Yes, I grew up privileged, but I haven't exactly lived a charmed life since I left Torvald. I've been in constant danger and have had the lives of my friends and me threatened on multiple occasions. It hasn't always been easy."

"Yes, but you chose this life. You could always return to Torvald."

Eira fought off a wave of irritation. "Yes, I chose it. Does being a victim make you feel superior? We all have a choice, Krogan. No matter if the best or worst possible events happen to us, we all have a choice in how to respond. I chose danger because I believe in what I fight for. I believe there are things more important than physical safety, than mere survival."

Krogan suddenly seemed very fixated on a pebble on the ground. "None of that will matter if you're dead. You need to return to Torvald."

"What?"

Krogan looked at her with the most serious expression she had ever seen on him. "You asked for my advice, and I am giving it to you. Return to Torvald. Take all of Berk with you if you're worried about them. I'm sure there's room somewhere. Torvald lasted for years because it stayed out of everyone's business, didn't it? Go back into hiding, and you will be safe. Otherwise, you and everyone else here will perish."

Eira took a moment to let everything sink in. Her first instinct was to deny everything he said, but instead she searched for the deeper meaning. She believed he was telling her the truth - or what he thought was the truth. The fact that he bothered to share his opinion meant something. It might only mean that he wanted to get her off his back, but that was something. And something was a whole lot better than the nothing she had been getting from him for months. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Is that what happened to your village? It was destroyed... by dragons, perhaps?" It was not a crazy guess considering what she knew about him.

Krogan retained her steady gaze. "You assume correctly. My village was often attacked by dragons, and one day they joined forces with multiple flocks and overwhelmed us. I was one of the few who survived. I was barely a man, forced to watch my family and the woman I was to marry killed by those beasts. Drago found me when it was over. He was training recruits to deal with the dragon problem, and he was impressed with my survival skills. He could not replace the ones I lost, but that was preferable. Never again will I have someone I cannot bare to lose."